MIP Models for Solving 3-Dimensional Packing Problems Arising in Space Engineering
In space engineering payload or cargo accommodation activities are quite challenging. Hard combinatorial multidimensional packing issues, in the presence of additional conditions, frequently arise and a specific approach is necessary. The work presented in this chapter focuses on a modeling (non-algorithmic) approach. A basic mixed integer programming model has been implemented to treat an orthogonal three-dimensional packing issue with rotations. The approach proposed seems quite suitable in practice, as the introduction of additional conditions is straightforward for significant applications (including tetris-like problems). The basic mixed integer programming mathematical model is described together with an extended formulation. A heuristic procedure is presented and some data concerning the computational experience are reported.
Keywordsthree-dimensional orthogonal packing additional conditions tetris-like problems mixed integer programming heuristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amadieu P. The European Transfer Vehicle Mission and System Concept. 48th International Astronautical Federation Congress, Turin (Italy), Oct.1997.Google Scholar
- Brinkley R. H. et al. International Space Station: an Overview. 48th International Astronautical Federation Congress, Turin (Italy), Oct. 1997.Google Scholar
- Bussolino L., Fasano G., Novelli A. A cargo accommodation problem for a space vehicle: The CAST project. In this book 13–26.Google Scholar
- Coffman E., Garey J.M., Johnson D. Approximation Algorthms for Bin Packing: A Survey. Boston: PWS Publishing Company, 1997Google Scholar
- Colaneri L., Delia Croce F., Perboli G., Tadei R. A Heuristic Procedure for the Space Cargo Rack Configuration Problem. In this book 27–42.Google Scholar
- Daughtrey R. S. et al. A Simulated Annealing Approach to 3-D Packing with Multiple Constraints, Boeing Huntsville AI Center. Huntsville (Alabama): Cosmic Program MFS28700, 1991.Google Scholar
- Dyckhoff H., Scheithauer G., Terno J. Cutting and Packing. In Annotated Bibliographies in Combinatorial Optimization, M. Del Pamico et al. (eds), Chichester: Wiley, 1997.Google Scholar
- Fasano G., Cargo analytical integration in space engineering: A three-dimensional packing model. In Operations Research in Industry, Ciriani T. A., Gliozzi S., Johnson E.L., R. Tadei (eds), London: Macmillan, 1999.Google Scholar
- Fekete S.P., Schepers J. On more-dimensional packing. Tech. Report 288–9–90, ZPR, 1997.Google Scholar
- IBM, Optimization Subroutines Library Guide and Reference, Version 3. Form SC23–0519, IBM Corporation, 2001.Google Scholar
- Padberg M. Packing Small Boxes into a Big Box, New York Univ. Off. of Naval Research, N00014–327, 1999.Google Scholar
- Williams H.P. Model Building in Mathematical Programming, 4th Edition, London: Wiley, 1999.Google Scholar