A Cargo Accommodation Problem for a Space Vehicle: The Cast Project
The Automated Transfer Vehicle is the European transportation system supporting the International Space Station. A detailed analytical cargo accommodation for each single cargo has to be performed in order to meet the Cargo Manifest plan provided by NASA. Accommodation rules, geometrical and functional conditions have to be considered, in addition to the static and dynamic balancing constraints, deriving from the attitude control requirements. The objective of the analysis is to satisfy the Station Cargo Manifest, in compliance with the given accommodation rules and constraints. The problem is very challenging and looking into an efficient solution, by means of a manual approach alone, would represent an impractical job even for an experienced designer. For this purpose, the European Space Agency has funded CAST (Cargo Analytical Accommodation Support Tool) a project dedicated to the development of a software tool in support to the Automated Transfer Vehicle cargo analytical accommodation.
KeywordsATV cargo analytical accommodation ESA ISS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amadieu P. The European Transfer Vehicle Mission and System Concept. 48th International Astronautical Federation Congress, Turin (Italy), 1997.Google Scholar
- Boeing Defense & Space Group, Cargo Planning, Analysis and Configuration System (CPACS) Software User Manual S 683–30014–1, Huntsville (Alabama), 1996Google Scholar
- Brinkley R. H., et al. International Space Station: an Overview. 48th International Astronautical Federation Congress, Turin (Italy), 1997.Google Scholar
- Daughtrey R. S., et al. A Simulated Annealing Approach to 3-D Packing with Multiple Constraints. Boeing Huntsville AI Center, Huntsville (Alabama), Cosmic Program MFS-28700, 1991.Google Scholar
- Dyckhoff H., Scheithauer G., Temo J. Cutting Configuration System (CPACS) Software User and Packing. In Annotated Bibliographies in Combinatorial Optimization, M. Dell’Amico et al. (eds.), Chichester: Wiley, 1997.Google Scholar
- Fasano G. Cargo Analytical Integration in Space Engineering: a Three-dimensional Packing Model. In Operational Research in Industry, T.A. Ciriani, S. Gliozzi, E.L. Johnson, R. Tadei (eds.), London: Macmillan Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- IBM, EasyModeler, User Guide, Release 2.0. Form SB13–5249, IBM Semea, 1994.Google Scholar
- IBM, Optimization Subroutines Library Guide and Reference, Version 3. Form SC23–0519, IBM Corporation, 2001.Google Scholar
- Williams H. P. Model Building in Mathematical Programming. London: Wiley, 1993.Google Scholar