Models and Algorithms for the Airport Capacity Allocation Problem
In this chapter, we present the airport capacity allocation problem, i.e., the problem of finding for each time unit the optimal balance between the number of arrivals and departures in order to reduce the total economic loss over a given decision horizon. In this class of problem, airport capacity is represented by an arrival-departure capacity curve or envelope. Therefore, arrival and departure capacities are considered as interdependent variables whose values depend on the arrival/departure ratio of total airport operations.
We formalise both the single-airport and the multi-airport version of the problem. In particular, for the single-airport capacity allocation problem, we present a dynamic programming formulation solved by using a customised algorithm. For the multi-airport version we propose a integer programming formulation, since some of the properties of the single-airport capacity allocation problem break down when dealing with a network structure. We solve this version of the problem using the CPLEX branch and bound. Computational results are given for both versions of the problem.
Keywordscapacity allocation problem air traffic flow management dynamic programming mathematical programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams M., Kolitz S., Milner J., Odoni A.R., Evolutionary concepts for Decentralized Air Traffic Flow Management. Air Traffic Control Quarterly, 4: 281–306, 1997.Google Scholar
- Andreatta G., Odoni A.R., Richetta O., Models for the Ground Holding Problem. In Large Scale Computation and Information Processing in ATC, L. Bianco, A.R.Odoni (eds.), Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- Beasly J. E., Krishnamoorthy M., Sharaiha Y. M., Abramson A. The displacement problem and dynamically scheduling aircraft landings, http://www.ms.ic.ac.uk/jeb/jeb.html.
- Bianco L., Bielli M., System Aspects and Optimization Models in ATC Planning. In Large Scale Computation and Information Processing in ATC, L. Bianco, A.R. Odoni (eds.), Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- Bianco L., Dell’Olmo P., Giordani S. Coordination of Traffic Flows in the TMA. In New Concepts and Methods in Air Traffic Management, L. Bianco, P. Dell’Olmo, A.R. Odoni (eds.), Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2002.Google Scholar
- Collaborative Decision Making in Aviation Transportation, http://www.metsci.com/, October 2000.
- Dell’Olmo P., Lulli G., The airport capacity allocation problem: a dynamic programming approach. Technical Report 16/2001, Dept. of Statistics, Probability and Applied Statistics, University of Rome “LaSapienza”, 2001.Google Scholar
- Hall W. D. Efficient Capacity Allocation in a Collaborative Air Transportation System. PhD dissertation, MIT, 1999.Google Scholar
- Hoffman R. L. Integer Programming Models for Ground-Holding in Air Traffic Flow Management PhD dissertation, University of Maryland, 1997.Google Scholar
- Odoni A.R., Bowman J., et. al. Existing and Required Modeling Capabilities for Evaluating ATM System and Concepts. Final Report International Centre for Air Transportation, MIT, March 1997.Google Scholar
- Odoni A. R. Efficient operation of runways. In Analysis of Public Systems, A.W. Drake, R.L. Keeney and P.M. Morse (eds.), Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1972.Google Scholar
- Odoni A. R., Rousseau J., Wilson N. H. M. Models in Urban Transportation. In Operations Research and the Public Sector, Pollock S.M., Rothkopf M. M., Barnett A. (eds.), Amsterdam: North Holland, 1994.Google Scholar
- Winer D.E. Models for the Ground Holding Problem. In Large Scale Computation and Information Processing in ATC, L. Bianco, A.R. Odoni (eds.), Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- Zografos K. G., Stamatopoulos M.A., Odoni A.R. An Analitical Model for Runway System Capacity Analysis. Proceedings of 8 th IF AC Symposium on Transportation System, Chania, 1997.Google Scholar