Constructing Matched Sets and Strata
This chapter discusses the construction of matched sets or strata when there are several, perhaps many, observed covariates x. There are three topics: the propensity score, the form of an optimal stratification, and the construction of optimal matched sets. This introduction summarizes the main issues and findings.
KeywordsPropensity Score Pair Match Treated Subject Assignment Algorithm Optimal Match
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bertsekas, D. (1991) Linear Network Optimization: Algorithms and Codes. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. http://www.mit.edu:8001//people/dimitrib/home.html.Google Scholar
- Bertsekas, D. (2001) Auction algorithms. Encyclopedia of Optimization, C. A. Foudas and P. M. Pardalos, eds., Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Gu, X. S. and Rosenbaum, P. R. (1993) Comparison of multivariate matching methods: Structures, distances and algorithms. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 2, 405–420.Google Scholar
- Li, Y., Propert, K. J. and Rosenbaum, P. R. (2001) Balanced risk set matching. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 96, September, to appear.Google Scholar
- Lu, B., Zanutto, E., Hornik, R., and Rosenbaum, P. R. (2002) Matching with doses in an observational study of a media campaign against drug abuse. Journal of the American Statistical Association, to appear.Google Scholar
- Ming, K. and Rosenbaum, P. R. (2001) A note on optimal matching with variable controls using the assignment algorithm. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, to appear.Google Scholar
- Normand, S. T., Landrum, M. B., Guadagnoli, E., Ayanian, J. Z., Ryan, T. J., Cleary, P. D., and McNeil, B. J. (2001) Validating recommendations for coronary angiography following acute myocardial infarction in the elderly: A matched analysis using propensity scores. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 54, 387 – 398.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rosenbaum, P. R. and Rubin, D. B. (1985) Constructing a control group using multivariate matched sampling methods that incorporate the propensity score. American Statistician, 39, 33–38.Google Scholar
- Silber, J. H., Rosenbaum, P. R., Trudeau, M. E., Even-Shoshan, O., Chen, W., Zhang, X., and Mosher, R. E. (2001) Multivariate matching and bias reduction in the surgical outcomes study. Medical Care, to appear.Google Scholar
- Smith, A., Kark, J., Cassel, J., and Spears, G. (1977) Analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies by minimum distance case- control matching. American Journal of Epidemiology, 105, 567–574.Google Scholar