A pioneering paper on neurosurgical use of balloons in 1980 by Mullan et al.1 contains one of the very first descriptions of successful carotid balloon angioplasty. The same paper also describes transvenous embolization of a carotid cavernous fistula, and balloon-occlusion of an exsanguinating carotid artery. It also reports in detail a procedure for coil obliteration of an inoperable carotid aneurysm using phosphate bronze coils. The bronze coils were inserted through the aneurysm wall after direct exposure of the aneurysm at craniotomy. Intravascular balloons were used to prevent prolapse of the coils into the carotid artery and were removed at the end of the procedure. The patient had a successful recovery. This single brief paper therefore pointed the direction for a number of innovations that would be developed over the following decades. The strategy of using balloons to keep coils within an aneurysm would later be developed into the balloon reconstructive technique for endovascular aneurysm coil therapy.
KeywordsInternal Carotid Artery Vertebral Artery Intracranial Aneurysm Coil Embolization Posterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 23.Shimizu S, Kurata A, Takano M, Takagi H, Yamazaki H, Miyasaka Y, Fujn K (1999) Tissue response of a small saccular aneurysm after incomplete occlusion with a Guglielmi detachable coil. AJNR 20: 546–548.Google Scholar
- 32.Graves VB, Strother CM, Duff TA, Perl J 2nd (1995) Early treatment of ruptured aneurysms with Guglielmi detachable coils: effect on subsequent bleeding. Neurosurgery 37: 640647.Google Scholar
- 34.Malisch TW, Guglielmi G, Vinuela F, Duckwiler. G, Gobin YP, Martin NA, Frazee JG (1997) Intracranial aneurysms treated with the Guglielmi detachable coil: midterm clinical results in a consecutive series of 100 patients. J Neurosurg 87: 176–183.Google Scholar
- 53.Raymond J, Theron J (1986) Intracavernous aneurysms: treatment by proximal balloon occlusion of the internal carotid artery. AJNR 7:1087–1092.Google Scholar
- 57.Vazquez Anon V, Aymard A, Gobin YP, Casasco A, Ruffenacht D, Khayata MH, Abizanda E, Redondo A, Merland JJ (1992) Balloon occlusion of the internal carotid artery in 40 cases of giant intracavernous aneurysm: technical aspects, cerebral monitoring, and results. Neuroradiology 34: 245–251.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 59.Taki W, Nishi S, Yamashita K, Sadatoh A, Nakahara I, Kikuchi H, Iwata H (1992) Selection and combination of various endovascular techniques in the treatment of giant aneurysms. J Neurosurg 77:37–42.Google Scholar