Pharynx (Including Base of Tongue, Soft Palate, and Uvula)
Summary of Changes
For oropharynx and hypopharynx only, T4 lesions have been divided into T4a (resectable) and T4b (unresectable), leading to the division of Stage IV into Stage IVA, Stage IVB, and Stage IVC.
KeywordsSquamous Cell Carcinoma Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Soft Palate Pyriform Sinus AJCC Stage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gwozdz JT, Morrison WH, Garden AS, Weber RS, Peters LJ, Ang KK: Concomitant boost radiotherapy for squamous carcinoma of the tonsillar fossa. Int J Rad Onc Biol Phys 39:127–135, 1997Google Scholar
- Hoffman HT, Karnell LH, Funk GF, Robinson RA, Menck HR: The National Cancer Data Base report on cancer of the head and neck. Arch Otolaryngol-Head Neck Surg 951–962, 1998Google Scholar
- Lee A, Foo W, Law S, et al: N-staging of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Discrepancy between UICC/AJCC and Ho systems. Clinical Oncology 17:377–381, 1995Google Scholar
- Lefebvre JL, Chevalier D, Luboinski B, Kirkpatric A, Collette L, Sahmoud T: Larynx preservation in pyriform sinus cancer: preliminary results of a European Organization for Research Treatment of Cancer phase III trial. EORTC Head and Neck Cancer Cooperative Group. J Nat Cancer Inst 88:890–899, 1996PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pauloski BR, Logemann JA, Colangelo LA, Rademaker AW, McConnel FM, Heiser MA, Carndinale S, Shedd D, Stein D, Beery Q, Myers E, Lewin J, Haxer M, Esclamado R: Surgical variables affecting speech in treated patients with oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Laryngoscope 108:908–916, 1998PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Teresi L, Lufkin R, Vinuela F, et al: MR imaging of the nasopharynx and floor of the middle cranial fossa. Part II. Malignant Tumors. Radiol 164:817–821, 1987Google Scholar