This chapter provides an overview of the financial concepts and tools that are useful in the financial evaluation of PACS. Section I discusses various analysis methods and makes a case for using net present value (NPV) methodology. Section II looks at the major cost elements that should be considered and quantified. Section III explores the cost saving opportunities and nonfinancial benefits of implementing PACS. These three sections should help you on your path to justifying PACS financially.
KeywordsDiscount Rate Cash Flow Payback Period Hurdle Rate Digital Revolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avrin DE. PACS Economic Issues and Justifications. AAPM 1999 Summer School: Practical Digital Imaging and PACS. Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA.Google Scholar
- Avrin DE, Andriole KP, et al. Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) Solution for CostEffective On-Line Archival and Disaster Recovery Using On-Site Lossy Compression and Off-Site Tape Backup. RSNA 1999, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Excel integrated online help manual. Excel, Microsoft Corp. Redmond, WA.Google Scholar
- King BF, Ward S, Bruesewitz RT, et al. Cost of film: Purchasing, processing, packaging, storing and disposal over the lifetime of a film examination in a large radiology department. SCAR Proceedings 1996, pp 152–156.Google Scholar
- Spiro HT. Finance for the Nonfinancial Manager, 2nd Ed. John Wiley and Sons, NY, 1982.Google Scholar