Productive Structure and Efficiency of Public Hospitals
This chapter focuses on the measurement of efficiency patterns for public hospitals in New South Wales (NSW), Australia. A frontier model of productivity and efficiency based on a distance function is used to represent “best practice” production methods for this set of hospitals, allowing for differential output and input compositional patterns, types of hospital, and environmental factors affecting production of hospital services.
KeywordsDistance Function Public Hospital Efficiency Score Marginal Product Stochastic Frontier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coelli, T.J., and Sergio Perelman , “Efficiency Measurement, Multiple-Output Technologies and Distance Functions: with Application to European Railways”, CREPP Working Paper #96/05, Universite de Liege, Belgium.Google Scholar
- Fare, R.S., Grosskopf, M. Norris and Z. Zhang , “Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Changes in Industrialised Countries”, American Economic Review, 84, pp. 66–83.Google Scholar
- Farrell, M.J. , “The Measurement of Productive Efficiency”, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, ACXX, Part 3, pp. 253–290.Google Scholar
- Greene, W.H. , “The Econometric Approach to Efficiency Analysis”, in The Measurement of Productive Efficiency (H.O. Fried, C.A.K. Lovell and S.S. Schmidt, eds), Oxford University press, New York, pp. 68–119.Google Scholar
- Grosskopf, S., K. Hayes, L. Taylor and W. Weber , “Budget Constrained Frontier Measures of Fiscal Equality and Efficiency in Schooling”, Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Hetemaki, L. , “Environmental Regulation and Production Efficiency: Evidence from the Pulp Industry”, mimeo, Finnish Forest Research Institute, Helsinki.Google Scholar
- Klein, L. , A Textbook of Econometrics, Row Peterson, New York.Google Scholar
- Kumbhakar, S., S.C. Ghosh and J.T. McGuckin , “A Generalised Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Hospitals”, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 9, pp. 279–286.Google Scholar
- Lovell, C.A.K. , “Production Frontiers and Productive Efficiency”, in The Measurement of Productive Efficiency (H.O. Fried, C.A.K. Lovell and S.S. Schmidt, eds.), Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 3–67.Google Scholar
- Lovell, C.A.K., S. Richardson, P. Travers and L.L. Wood , “Resources and Functionings: A New View of Inequality in Australia”, in Models and Measurement of Welfare and Inequality, (W. Eichhorn, ed.), Berlin, Springer-Verlag Press.Google Scholar
- Morrison, C.J., W.E. Johnston and G. Frengley , “Efficiency in New Zealand Sheep and Beef Farming: Pre- and Post- Reform”, manuscript.Google Scholar