Approach to Congestion Optimum Toll in Traffic Networks
In this article we study the pricing of transportation in congestion highways. The traditional approach to tolls consider the introduction of marginal tolls into networks as a solution to congestion. Recently, some authors consider another type of tolls, minimum-revenue tolls, where they get the same effect than with marginal tolls by means of tolling only a few links in the network. In  an algorithm using a link-path formulation for a multicommodity assignment problem is presented. We use minimum revenue tolls using a link-node formulation, for only one single commodity and multiple O-D pairs, with a better performance of the algorithm.
KeywordsOptimum toll traffic assignment pricing in transportation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahuja, R.K, T.L.Magnanti and J.B. Orlin. Network Flows. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1993.Google Scholar
- Bergendorff, P., D.W. Hearn and M.V. Ramana. Congestion Toll Pricing of Traffic Networks. In Panos M. Pardalos, Donald W. Hearn and William H. Hager, editors, Network Optimization, pages 5171, Springer-Verlag, Lectures Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokyo, 1997.Google Scholar
- Hearn,D. and Ramana,M. Solving Congestion Toll Pricing Models. In Patrice Marcotte and Sang Nguyen, editors, Equilibrium and Advanced Transportation Modelling, pages -, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998.Google Scholar
- Larsson,T. and M. Patriksson Side constrained traffic equilibrium models - Traffic Management Through Link Tolls. In Patrice Marcotte and Sang Nguyen, editors, Equilibrium and Advanced Transportation Modelling, pages -, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998.Google Scholar
- Patriksson, M. The Traffic Assignment Problem. VSP, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1994.Google Scholar
- Shah, A. Optimal Pricing of Traffic Externalities: Theory and Measurement. International Journal of Transport Economics, 17 (1): 3–19, 1990.Google Scholar
- Small, K. Urban Transportation Economics. Harwood Academic Press, Chur, Switzerland, 1992Google Scholar
- Wardrop, J. Some Theoretical Aspects of Road Traffic Research. Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng. Part II, 1: 325–378, 1952.Google Scholar