Critical Dimension Patterning Using SPL
Transistor gate patterning is the primary application of a high-resolution lithographic system in the semiconductor industry. The gate itself is typically a long, narrow line of polysilicon whose width (known as the transistor gate “length”) determines the device switching speed. The uniformity of the gate is critical for device electrical performance and yield. Gate patterning is performed after significant device processing. Therefore the feature must be accurately aligned to the previously patterned regions. It must also be written over the sample topography created by the prior fabrication steps.
KeywordsRapid Thermal Anneal Electron Beam Lithography Gate Length Shallow Trench Isolation Effective Channel Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. F. Lee, R. H. Yan, D. Y. Jeon, G. M. Chin, Y. O Kim, D. M. Tennant, B. Razavi, H. D. Lin, Y. G. Wey, E. H. Westerwick, M. D. Morris, R. W. Johnson, T. M. Liu, M. Tarsia, M. Cerullo, R. G. Swartz, and A. Ourmazd, “Room temperature 0.1 µm CMOS technology with 11.8 ps gate delay,” Proc. IEDM, 131–134 (1993).Google Scholar
- Y. Taur, S. Wind, Y. J. Mii, Y. Lii, D. Moy, K. A. Jenkins, C. L. Chen, P. J. Coane, D. Klaus, J. Bucchignano, M. Rosenfield, M. G. R. Thomson, and M. Polcari, “High performance 0.1 µm CMOS devices with 1.5 V power supply,” Proc. IEDM, 127–130 (1993).Google Scholar
- T. Hori, “A 0.1 µm CMOS technology with tilt-implanted punchthrough stopper,” Proc. IEDM, 75–78 (1994).Google Scholar
- B. Davari, “CMOS technology scaling, 0.1 µm and beyond,” Proc. IEDM, 555558 (1996).Google Scholar
- E. Kooi, The Invention of LOCOS (New York: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 1991 ).Google Scholar
- S. Wolf, Silicon Processing for the VLSI Era (Sunset Beach, California: Lattice Press, 1990 ).Google Scholar
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (San Jose: Semiconductor Industry Association, 1997). Data also reflects 1998 update to the roadmap.Google Scholar
- W. H. Arnold, B. Singh, and K. Phan, “Line width metrology requirement for sub-micron lithography,” Solid State Technol. 32, 139–145 (1989).Google Scholar
- R. R. Troutman, “VLSI limitations from drain-induced barrier lowering,” IEEE J. of Solid-State Circuits SC-14, 383–391 (1979).Google Scholar