The Proximal Point Algorithm for the P0 Complementarity Problem
In this paper we consider a proximal point algorithm (PPA) for solving the nonlinear complementarity problem (NCP) with a P 0 function. PPA was originally proposed by Martinet and further developed by Rockafellar for monotone variational inequalities and monotone operator problems. PPA is known to have nice convergence properties under mild conditions. However, until now, it has been applied mainly to monotone problems. In this paper, we propose a PPA for the NCP involving a P 0 function and establish its global convergence under appropriate conditions by using the Mountain Pass Theorem. Moreover, we give conditions under which it has a superlinear rate of convergence.
Keywordsnonlinear complementarity problem proximal point algorithm P0 function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.S. Palais and C.-L. Terng, Critical Point Theory and Sub-manifold Geometry, Lecture Note in Mathematics, 1353, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- J.-S. Pang, Complementarity problems, Handbook of Global Optimization, R. Horst and P. Pardalos (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Massachusetts, 1994, pp. 271–338.Google Scholar
- L. Qi, C-differentiability, C-differential operators and generalized Newton methods, Technical Report, School of Mathematics, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 1996.Google Scholar
- M.V. Solodov and B.F. Svaiter A globally convergent inexact Newton method for systems of monotone equations, Reformulation: Nonsmooth, Piecewise Smooth, Semismooth and Smoothing Methods, M. Fukushima and L. Qi (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Massachusetts, 1998, pp. 355–369.Google Scholar
- N. Yamashita and M. Fukushima, The proximal point algorithm with genuine superlinear convergence for the monotone complementarity problem, SIAM Journal on Optimization, to appear.Google Scholar