Approximating Maximum Stable Set and Minimum Graph Coloring Problems with the Positive Semidefinite Relaxation
We compute approximate solutions to the maximum stable set problem and the minimum graph coloring problem using a positive semidefinite relaxation. The positive semidefinite programs are solved using an implementation of the dual scaling algorithm that takes advantage of the sparsity inherent in most graphs and the structure inherent in the problem formulation. Prom the solution to the relaxation, we apply a randomized algorithm to find approximate maximum stable sets and a modification of a popular heuristic to find graph colorings. We obtained high quality answers for graphs with over 1000 vertices and over 6000 edges.
KeywordsStable Set Independent Set Maximum Clique Graph Coloring Positive Semidefinite Relaxation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Alizadeh. Combinatorial optimization with interior point methods and semidefinite matrices. PhD thesis, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1991.Google Scholar
- K. M. Anstreicher and M. Fampa. A long-step path following algorithm for semidefinite programming problems. Working Paper, Department of Management Science, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1996.Google Scholar
- L. Babel and G. Tinhofer. A branch and bound algorithm for the maximum clique problem. J. of Global Optimization, 4, 1994.Google Scholar
- S. Benson, Y. Ye, and X. Zhang. Solving large-scale sparse semidef-inite programs for combinatorial optimization. Technical report, Department of Management Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA, September 1997. To appear in SIAM J. of Optimization. Google Scholar
- D. Bertsimas and Y. Ye. Semidefinite relaxations, multivariate normal distributions, and order statistics. In D.-Z. Du and P.M. Parda-Los, editors, Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization, volume 3, pages 1–19. Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht, 1998.Google Scholar
- P. Briggs, K. Cooper, K. Kennedy, and L. Torczon. Coloring heuristics for register allocation. In ASCM Conference on Program Language Design and Implementation, pages 275–284. The Association for Computing Machinery, 1998.Google Scholar
- DIMACS Center Web Page. The Second DIMACS Implementation Challenge: 1992–1993. http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/pub/challenge/graph/benchmarks/clique/.
- C. Priden, A. Hertz, and D. de Werra. An exact algorithm based on tabu search for finding a maximum independent set in a graph. Computers Operations Research, 17(5):375–382, 1990.Google Scholar
- M. X. Goemans and D. P. Williamson. 878-approximation for MAX CUT and MAX 2SAT. In Proc. 26th ACM Symp. Theor. Computing, pages 422–431, 1994.Google Scholar
- David S. Johnson. Worst case behavior of graph coloring algorithms. In Proceedings of 5th Southeastern Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory, and Computing, pages 513–527. Utilitas Mathemat-ica, Winnipeg, Canada, 1974.Google Scholar
- David Karger, Rajeev Motwani, and Madhu Sudan. Approximate graph coloring by semidefinite programming. Technical report, MIT, Cambridge, MA 52242, USA, 1994.Google Scholar
- M. Kubale and E. Kusz. Computational experience with implicit enumeration algorithms for graph coloring. In Proceedings of the WG’83 International Workshop on Graphtheoretic Concepts in Computer Science, pages 167–176, Linz, 1983. Trauner Verlag.Google Scholar
- Craig A. Morgenstern and Harry D. Shapiro. Coloration neighborhood structures for general graph coloring. In Proceedings of the First Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, San Francisco, Jan, 1990. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, 1990.Google Scholar
- George L. Nemhauser and G. L. Sigismondi. A strong cutting plane /branch and bound algorithm for node packing. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 43(5), 1992.Google Scholar
- Yu. E. Nesterov and A. S. Nemirovskii. Interior Point Polynomial Methods in Convex Programming: Theory and Algorithms. SIAM Publications, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1993.Google Scholar
- Proc. 4th IPCO Conference. Improved approximation algorithms for max k-cut and max bisection, 1995.Google Scholar
- M. J. Todd. On search directions in interior-point methods for semidefinite programming. Technical Report 1205, School of Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, Cornell University, Itheca, NY 14853–3801, October 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Trick. Graph coloring instances, http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/COLOR/instances.html.
- L. Tuncel. On the slater condition for the sdp relaxations of noncon-vex sets. Technical Report CORR2000–13, Department of Combina-torica and Optimization, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2L3G1, Canada, February 2000.Google Scholar