Methods and Decision Processes: Descriptive and Normative
How are large-scale siting decisions made in practice? H. Kunreuther, J. Linnerooth, and some of their colleagues (1983) investigated large-scale siting decisions while working in the International Institute for Applied System Analysis (ELASA). The problem under study was the decision process used to site liquified energy gas (LEG) facilities in four countries: the Federal Republic of Germany, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Different countries have different institutional settings for deciding how siting choices are made. Despite major differences in approaches, Kunreuther and Linnerooth developed a general framework for describing siting decisions.
KeywordsConstruction Cost Tennessee Site Concordance Index Active Party Reference Option
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berkeley, D., Humphreys, P., Larichev, O. and Moshkovich, H. Aiding strategic decision making: Derivation and development of ASTRID A. In Environment for Supporting Decision Processes, Y. Vecsenyi and H. Sol, eds., North Holland, Amsterdam, 1991.Google Scholar
- Kahneman, D., Slovic, P. and Tversky, A. (eds.), Judgement Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- Keeney, R.L., Siting Energy Facilities, Academic Press, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- Keeney, R.L. & Raiffa, H., Decisions with Multiple Objectives, Wiley, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- Larichev, O.I., Yu, A., Zuev, Y.A. and Gnedenko, L.S. Method ZAPROS (Closed Procedures near Reference Situations) for the analysis of variants of complex decisions, in S.V. Emelyanov, ed., Multicriteria Choice for the Solution of Ill-Structured Problems, Moscow: VNIISI Proceedings, N 5 (in Russian), 1978, 83–97.Google Scholar
- March, J.G. and Simon, H.A. Organizations, New York, Wiley, 1958.Google Scholar
- Merrow, E.W.: Understanding the Outcomes of Megaprojects: A Quantitative Analysis of Very Large Civilian Projects. Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, 1988.Google Scholar
- Montgomery, H. and Svenson, O. A think-aloud study of dominance structuring in decision processes, in Process and Structure on Human Decision Making, H. Montgomery and O. Svenson, eds., J. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, 1989, 135–150.Google Scholar
- Roy, B. Clessement et choix en presence de criteres multiples. RIRO vol. 8, 1968, pp. 57–75.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L. The Analytic Hierarchy Process New York, McGraw Hill 1980 (2nd ed. T.L. Saaty, 1988).Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L. Decision Making for Leaders Belmont, CA Van Nostrand Reinhold 1982 (2nd ed. RWS Publications, 1986).Google Scholar