Positive Solutions of Semilinear Elliptic Boundary Value Problems in Chemical Reactor Theory
This paper is devoted to the study of semilinear elliptic boundary value problems arising in chemical reactor theory which obey the simple Arrhenius rate law and Newtonian cooling. We prove that ignition and extinction phenomena occur in the stable steady temperature profile at some critical values of a dimensionless heat evolution rate. Moreover the asymptotic behavior of the stable steady temperature is also studied.
KeywordsElliptic Boundary Unique Positive Solution Newtonian Cool Reactant Consumption Nonlinear Elliptic Boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BGW]Boddington, T., P. Gray and G. C. Wake. (1977). Criteria for thermal explosions with and without reactant consumption, Proc. R. Soc. London A., Vol. 357, (pages 403–422 ).Google Scholar
- [BIS]Brown, K. J., M. M. A. Ibrahim and R. Shivaji. (1981). S-shaped bifurcation curves problems, Nonlinear Analysis, TMA, Vol. 5, (pages 475–486 ).Google Scholar
- [Co]Cohen, D. S. (1971). Multiple stable solutions of nonlinear boundary value problems arising in chemical reactor theory, SIAM J. Appl. Math., Vol. 20, (pages 1–13 ).Google Scholar
- [CL]Cohen, D. S. and T. W. Laetsch. (1970). Nonlinear boundary value problems suggested by chemical reactor theory, J. Differential Equations, Vol. 7, (pages 217–226 ).Google Scholar
- [Da]Dancer, E. N. (1986). On the number of positive solutions of weakly nonlinear elliptic equations when a parameter is large, Proc. London Math. Soc., Vol. 53, (pages 429–452 ).Google Scholar
- [LW2]Legget, R. W. and L. R. Williams. (1979). Multiple fixed point theorems for problems in chemical reactor theory, J. Math. Anal. Appl., Vol. 69, (pages 180–193 ). 422Google Scholar
- [Pa]Parter, S. V. (1974). Solutions of a differential equation in chemical reactor processes, SIAM J. Appl. Math., Vol. 26, (pages 687–715 ).Google Scholar
- [TU2]Taira, K. and K. Umezu. (1996). Bifurcation for nonlinear elliptic boundary value problems III,Adv. Differential Equations, Vol. 1, (pages 709727).Google Scholar
- [TU3]Taira, K. and K. Umezu. (1997). Positive solutions of sublinear elliptic boundary value problems,Nonlinear Analysis, TMA, Vol. 29, (pages 761771).Google Scholar
- [TU4]Taira, K. and K. Umezu. (to appear). Semilinear elliptic boundary value problems in chemical reactor theory,J. Differential Equations.Google Scholar
- [Um]Umezu„ K. (1994). LP-approach to mixed boundary value problems for second-order elliptic operators,Tokyo J. Math., Vol. 17, (pages 101–123).Google Scholar
- [Wi]Wiebers, H. (1985). S-shaped bifurcation curves of nonlinear elliptic boundary value problems, Math. Ann., Vol. 270, (pages 555–570 ).Google Scholar