Studies on the Accuracy of Electron Backscatter Diffraction Measurements
Automated orientation measurement on a local basis is now widely accepted for characterization of materials. The technique relies upon indexing of electron backscatter diffraction patterns in a scanning electron microscope. In order to exploit the available information, it is important to understand the limitations with respect to accuracy. Experiments were carried out to measure orientation fields from a silicon single crystal. The orientation dispersion was 1°. Disorientation correlation maps revealed anisotropy in the spatial variation in measured orientation.
KeywordsPole Figure Electron Backscatter Diffraction EBSD Data EBSD Measurement Float Point Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frank, F., 1988, Orientation mapping, Metallurgical Transactions, 19A:403.Google Scholar
- Humphreys, F.J., 1999a, Determination of microtexture by EBSD at high spatial resolution in a FEGSEM, in: Proceedings of ICOTOM-12, Montreal, Canada, 1:74.Google Scholar
- Lee, P.S., Rollett, A.D., and Adams, B.L., 1998, Development of a disorientation correlation function, in: Proceedings of The Integration of Material, Process and Product Design, Seven Springs, PA, Balkema, Rotterdam, Netherlands, p. 33.Google Scholar
- Lee, P.S., Rollett, A.D., and Adams, B.L., 1999, Development and application of a disorientation correlation function, in: Proceeding of ICOTOM-12, Montreal, Canada, 1:21.Google Scholar
- Stout, K.J., Sullivan, P.J., Dong, W.P., Mainsah, E., Luo, N., Mathia, T., and Zahouani, H., 1993, The development of methods for the characterization of roughness in three dimensions, in: Commission of the European Communities, University of Birmingham, Tech Report, EUR15178EN, EC Brussels.Google Scholar
- Sutton, A.P., and Balluffi, R.W., 1995, Interfaces in Crystalline Materials, Clarendon Press, Oxford, p. 19.Google Scholar
- Valkonen, A.E., 1987, Plastic deformation and roughness of free metal surfaces, in: Metallurgical Engineering, The Ohio State University: Columbus, p. 459.Google Scholar