Grain Boundary Character Based Design of Polycrystalline High Temperature Superconducting Wires
The discovery of high temperature superconductors (HTS) (Bednorz and Mueller, 1986) led to an unprecedented explosion of research and development efforts worldwide because of the significant potential for practical applications offered by these materials. However, the early euphoria created by the exciting prospects was dampened by the daunting task of fabricating these materials into useful forms with acceptable superconducting properties. Progress toward this goal has been hindered by many intrinsic materials problems, such as weak-links, flux-creep, and poor mechanical properties.
KeywordsCritical Current Density Misorientation Angle High Angle Boundary YBCO Film Boundary Misorientation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Superconductor Corporation, 1995, Two Technology Drive Westborough, MA 01581.Google Scholar
- Bollmann, W., 1982, Crystal Lattices, Interfaces and Matrices, published by author.Google Scholar
- DeLuca, J.A., Karas, P.L., Briant, C.L., Tkacyzk, J.E., and Goyal, A., 1994, Progress in the development of the silver-addition process for preparing textured “Tl-1223” Tl-Ba-Ca-Cu-0 thick films, Processing of Long Lengths of Superconductors, U. Balachandran, E.W. Collings and A. Goyal, eds., The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Warrendale, PA, 231.Google Scholar
- Feenstra, R., Goyal, A., Christen, D.K., Paranthaman, M., Lee, D.F., Verebelyi, D., Specht, E.D., Budai, J.D., Norton, D.P., and Kroeger, D.M., 2000, Strong supercurrent transport in ex-situ processed YBCO films on flexible metal tapes for next-generation superconducting wire technology, submitted to Science.Google Scholar
- Goyal, A, Norton, D.P., Budai, J., Paranthaman, M., Specht, E.D., Kroeger, D.M., Christen, D.K., Saffian, B., List, F.A., Lee, D.F., Martin, P., Klabunde, CE., Hatfield, E., Sikka, V.K., 1996b, High critical current density tapes by epitaxial deposition of YBa2Cu3Ox on biaxially textured metals, Appl. Phys. Lett. 69:1795.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goyal, A., 1996c, US Patents: 5, 739, 086; 5, 741, 377; 5, 846, 912; 5, 898, 020; 5, 964, 966; 5, 958, 599; 5, 968, 877.Google Scholar
- Goyal, A, Norton, D.P., Christen, D.K., Specht, E.D., Paranthaman, M., Kroeger, D.M., Budai, J., He, Q., List, F. A., Feenstra, R., Kerchner, H. R., Lee, D. F., Hatfield, E., Martin, P. M., Mathis, J. E. and Park, C, 1996d, Epitaxial superconductors on rolling-assisted-biaxially-textured substrates (RABiTS): A route towards the high critical density wire, Appl. Supercond. 69:403.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumakura, H., Kitaguchi, H., Togano, K., Maeda, H., 1992, Fabrication of Bi2Sr2CaCu208 tapes and coils, Sei. Rep. Res. Tohoku A. 37:167.Google Scholar