On Generalized Lengths of Factorizations in Dedekind and Krull Domains
The study of factorization in integral domains has played an important role in commutative algebra for many years. Much of this work has concentrated on the study of unique factorization domains (UFDs). Beyond the realm of UFDs, there is a large class of integral domains for which each nonunit can be factored as a product of irreducibles, yet the factorization may not be unique. Classically, Dedekind domains are such domains. A Dedekind domain D is a UFD if and only if its ideal class group is trivial. Hence the size of the class group becomes a measure of how far the domain D is from having “unique factorization”. The concept of the class group and its relation to factorization properties extends also to the more general class of Krull domains. It is within the context of these domains that we consider in this paper general questions concerning the lengths of factorization in the non-UFD setting.
KeywordsPrime Ideal Class Group Integral Domain Factorization Property Ideal Class
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.F. Anderson, Elasticity of factorizations in integral domains: a survey, Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Marcel Dekker 189(1997), 1–30.Google Scholar
- D.F. Anderson, P.J. Cahen, S.T. Chapman and W.W. Smith, Some factorization properties of the ring of integer-valued polynomials, Lecture notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Marcel Dekker, volume 171(1995), chapter 10, 125–142.Google Scholar
- S. T. Chapman, On the Davenport constant, the cross number and their application in factorization theory, , Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Marcel Dekker, 189(1995), 167–190.Google Scholar
- S. T. Chapman and J. Coykendall, Half-factorial Domains, A Survey, this volume.Google Scholar
- S. T. Chapman and W.W. Smith, An arithmetical characterization of finite elementary 2-groups, Comm. Algebra, to appear.Google Scholar
- H. Cohn, A Second Course in Number Theory, J. Wiley & Sons (1962).Google Scholar
- M. Freeze, Lengths of Factorizations in Dedekind Domains, dissertation, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999.Google Scholar
- W. D. Gao and A. Geroldinger, Systems of sets of lengths, II, Abhandl. Math. Sem. Univ. Hamburg, to appear.Google Scholar
- W. D. Gao and A. Geroldinger, On long minimal zero sequences in finite abelian groups, Period. Math. Hungar., to appear.Google Scholar