The use of computer applications to facilitate research is now an inherent part of most research efforts. Computing hardware and software comprise useful timesaving tools and information gathering sources that are used regularly by researchers of all kinds (e.g., Axford et al., 1996). This chapter focuses on some of the ways in which nursing research can be enhanced by computer applications and the analytical tools they provide or the research information to which they provide access.
KeywordsNursing Practice Nurse Midwife Nurse Researcher Professional Librarian Usenet Newsgroup
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Axford, R., Grunwald, G., and Hyndman, R. Information technology in research. In: Hovenga, E., Kidd, M., and Cesnik, B. (eds.) Health Informatics: An Overview. Melbourne, Australia: Churchill Livingstone, 1996.Google Scholar
- Ball, M.J., and Hannah, K.J. Using Computers in Nursing. Reston, Va.: 1984.Google Scholar
- Chalmers, I., and Altman, D.G. (eds.) Systematic Reviews. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1995.Google Scholar
- Crombie, I.K. The Pocket Guide to Critical Appraisal. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1996.Google Scholar
- Degner, L.F. The application of computers in clinical nursing research. In: Hannah, K.J., Guillemin, E., and Conklin, D.N. (eds.) Nursing Uses of Computers and Information Science. Amsterdam: North-Holland Elsevier, 1986.Google Scholar
- Francis, I. Statistical Software: A Comparative Review. Amsterdam: North-Holland Elsevier, 1981.Google Scholar
- McGuiness, B., and Axford, R. Exploring nursing knowledge by using digital photography. In: Gerdin, U., Tallberg, M., and Wainwright, P. (eds.) Nursing Informatics: The Impact of Nursing Knowledge on Health Care Informatics. Amsterdam: IOS Press, 1997: 281–287.Google Scholar
- Nicoll, L.H., Ouellette, T.H., Bird, D.C., Harper, J., and Kelley, J. Bibliographic database managers: A comparative review. Computer in Nursing 1996; 14 (1): 45–56.Google Scholar
- Peckham, M., and Smith, R. (eds.) Scientific Basis of Health Services. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1996.Google Scholar
- Polit, D.F., and Hungler, B.P. Nursing Research: Principles and Methods, 5th Ed. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1995.Google Scholar
- Reilly, S.M. Infants and colic. Unpublished study, 1985.Google Scholar
- Seaman, C.C.H., and Verhonick, P.J. Research Methods for Undergraduate Students in Nursing. Norwalk, Conn.: Appleton Century-Crofts, 1982.Google Scholar
- Wurman, R.S. Information Anxiety. Toronto: Doubleday, 1989.Google Scholar