Design of Broadband Low-Noise Amplifiers in Deep-Submicron CMOS technologies
In general it is believed that the implementation of low-noise RF amplifiers in CMOS at a power dissipation competitive with bipolar technologies requires the use of narrow-band techniques. In this paper the design of power-efficient broadband low-noise amplifiers is explored, i.e., without using accurately tuned LC-tanks nor exploiting the ‘overdrive’ capabilities provided by on-chip inductors.
Based on a topology example of a low-power broadband low-noise amplifier, some aspects of broadband LNA design are illustrated. A prototype design, dimensioned in a 0.5 μm CMOS technology, is described and measured. It is explained how the underlying mechanism of the Non-QuasiStatic effect affects the input impedance even at practical RF frequencies, suggesting the use of NQS models also for these frequencies.
KeywordsInput Impedance Noise Figure Image Rejection Reverse Isolation Order Intermodulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Crols and M. Steyaert, “Low-IF Topologies for High Performance Analog Front-Ends of Fully Integrated Receivers,” accepted for publication in IEEE Trans, on Circuits and Systems II, 1997Google Scholar
- S. Sheng et al., “A Low-Power CMOS Chipset for Spread-Spectrum Communications,” Proc. ISSCC, pp. 346-347, San Francisco, Feb. 1996.Google Scholar
- B. Razavi, “A 900-MHz CMOS Direct Conversion Receiver,” Digest of Technical Papers, 1997 Symposium on VLSI circuits, pp. 113-114, Kyoto, June 1997.Google Scholar
- A. N. Karanicolas, “A 2.7V 900MHz CMOS LNA and Mixer,” Proc. ISSCC, pp.50-51, San Francisco, Feb. 1996.Google Scholar
- K. Irie et al., “A 2.7 V GSM Transceiver IC,” Proc. ISSCC, pp. 302-303, San Francisco, Feb. 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Rofougaran et al., “A 1 GHz CMOS RF Front-End IC with Wide Dynamic Range,” Proc. ESSCIRC, Lille, pp.250-253, Sept. 1995.Google Scholar
- D. Shaeffer and T. Lee, “A 1.5 V, 1.5 GHz CMOS Low Noise Amplifier,” Proc. VLSI Circuits Symposium, Honolulu, pp.32-33, June 1996.Google Scholar
- Y.J. Shin and K. Bult,“An Inductorless 900 MHz RF Low-Noise Amplifier in 0.9um CMOS,” Proc. CICC, Santa Clara, pp.513-516, May 1997.Google Scholar
- J. Janssens, M. Steyaert and H. Miyakawa, “A 2.7 Volt CMOS Broadband Low Noise Amplifier,” Digest of Technical Papers, 1997 Symposium on VLSI circuits,” pp.87-88, Kyoto, June 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Steyaert et al., “RF CMOS Design: Some Untold Pitfalls,” Proc. AACD, Lausanne, April 1996.Google Scholar
- Y. P. Tsividis, “Operation and modeling of the MOS transistor”, Chapter 6, pp, 399, McGraw Hill, 1987.Google Scholar