Diagnostic Uses of Radiopharmaceuticals in Nuclear Medicine
In previous chapters, we described various characteristics and production of radionuclides, preparation of different radiopharmaceuticals using various radionuclides, and their quality control. In the present chapter we shall describe clinical applications of these radiopharmaceuticals in the diagnosis of various diseases in humans. The discussion is primarily divided into sections on different human organs. In each section the anatomic structure and physiologic function of the organ are briefly described and appropriate nuclear medicine tests are discussed along with their clinical usefulness, particularly with respect to the radiopharmaceuticals used, their pharmacologic aspect, the mechanism of their localization, and diagnosis of various diseases.
KeywordsMyocardial Perfusion Imaging Gamma Camera Medullary Thyroid Cancer Effective Renal Plasma Flow Scintillation Camera
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Suggested Reading
- Anthony CP, Thibodeau GA. Textbook of Anatomy and Physiology. St. Louis: Mosby; 1979.Google Scholar
- Early PJ, Sodee DB, eds. Principles and Practice of Nuclear Medicine. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1995.Google Scholar
- Freeman LM, ed. Freeman and Johnson’s Clinical Radionuclide Imaging. 3rd ed. New York: Grune & Stratton; 1984.Google Scholar
- Harbert J, Eckelman WC, Neumann RD, eds. Nuclear Medicine: Diagnosis and Therapy. New York: Thieme Medical; 1996.Google Scholar
- Henkin RE, Boles MA, Dillehay GL, et al., eds. Nuclear Medicine. St Louis: Mosby; 1996.Google Scholar
- Johnson LL, Seldin DW. Clinical experience with technetium-99m teboroxime, a neutral, lipophilic myocardial perfusion imaging agent. Am J Cardiol. 1990; 66: 63E.Google Scholar
- Kuhl DE, Barrio JR, Huang SC, et al. Quantifying local cerebral blood flow by N-isopropyl-p-123I-iodoamphetamine (IMP) tomography. J Nucl Med. 1982; 236:196.Google Scholar
- Mettler FA Jr, Guiberteau MJ. Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Imaging. 3rd ed. New York: Grune & Stratton; 1991.Google Scholar
- Saha GB, Go RT, Maclntyre WJ, et al. Use of 82Sr/82Rb generator in clinical PET studies. Nucl Med Biol. 1990; 17:763.Google Scholar
- Sandler MP, Coleman RE, Walkers FJT, et al., eds. Diagnostic Nuclear Medicine. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1996.Google Scholar
- Wagner HN, Jr, Szabo Z, Buchanan JW. Principles of Nuclear Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1995.Google Scholar