The Role of Free Radicals in Ischemic Injury and the Precondition Status
This chapter is focused on the role of iron in the mechanism of ischemic injury and the possible involvement of free radicals in preconditioning. Various hypotheses have been proposed for the mechanism of preconditioning.
KeywordsIschemic Precondition Ischemic Insult Ischemic Period Cytosolic Calcium Concentration Reperfusion Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cano, E., and Mahadevan, L.C., 1995, Parallel signal processing among mammalian MAPKs, Trends Biochem, Sci. 20: 117–122.Google Scholar
- Knight, R.J., and Buxton, D.B., 1996, Stimulation of c-gen kinase and mitogen-activated protein kinase by ischemia and reperfusion in the perfused rat heart, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 218: 83–88.Google Scholar
- Murry, C.E., Richard, V.J., Jennings, R.B., and Reimer, K.A., 1988, Precondition with ischemia: Is the productive effect mediated by free radical induced myocardial stunning? (Abstract) Circulation 78 (Suppl. 11): 77.Google Scholar
- Richard, V., Tron, C., and Thiullez, C., 1993, Ischaemic preconditioning is not mediated by oxygen free radicals in rats, Cardiovasc. Res. 27: 2016–2021.Google Scholar
- Schneider, C.A., Nguyen, V.T.B., and Taegtmeyer, H., 1991, Feeding and fastging determing postischemic glucose utilization in isolated working rat hearts, Am. J. Physiol. 260: H542 - H548.Google Scholar
- Smith, J.K., Gordon, D.L. Grisham, M.B., Granger, D.N., and Korthuis, R.J., 1989, Role of iron in post ischemic microvascular injury, Am. J. Physiol. 256: H1472 - H1477.Google Scholar
- Wyatt, D.H., Edmonds, M.C., Rubio, R., Berne, R.M., Lasley, R.D., and Mentzner, R.M., 1989, Adenosine stimulated glycolytic flux in isolated perfused rat hearts by A1-adenosine receptors, Am. J. Physiol. 257: H1952 - H1957.Google Scholar
- Xuehun, L., Prasad, R., Engelman, R., Jones, R.M., and Das, D.K., 1991, Role of iron in membrane phospholipid breakdown in ischemic perfused rat hearts, Am. J. Physiol. 259: H1101–HI107.Google Scholar
- Zweier, J.L., 1988, Measurements of superoxide free radicals in perfused heart, J. Biol. Chem. 263: 1353–1357.Google Scholar