SOI CMOS technology has been becoming another major technology for next-generation VLSI[l]-. In this chapter, starting from the fundamentals of SOI, the advantages of the SOI CMOS technology are described. The applications of SOI CMOS technology for realizing VLSI digital circuits are introduced. The objectives of this book in terms of processing technology, device modeling, and circuit designs for SOI CMOS VLSI are outlined.
KeywordsCMOS Technology Parasitic Capacitance Subthreshold Slope VLSI Circuit CMOS Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Yoshimi, M. Takahashi, S. Kambayashi, M. Kemmochi, H. Hazama, T. Wada, K. Kato, H. Tango, and K. Natori, “Electrical Properties and Technological Perspectives of Thin-Film SOI MOSFETs,” IEICE Trans. Elec, Vol. 74, No. 2, pp. 337–351, Feb. 1991.Google Scholar
- S. Kawamura, “Ultra-Thin-Film SOI Technology and Its Application to Next Generation CMOS Devices,” SOI Conf. Dig., pp. 6–7, 1993.Google Scholar
- Y. Inoue and Y. Yamaguchi, “Trends in Research and Development of SOI Technology,” Applied Physics, Vol. 64, No. 11, pp. 1104–1110, 1995 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- S. Ohr, “GaAs Finds Home in Wireless & High-Speed Data-Communications Applications,” Computer Design, pp. 59–68, March 1994.Google Scholar
- G. G. Shahidi, T. H. Ning, T. I. Chappell, J. H. Comfort, B. A. Chappell, R. Franch, C. J. Anderson, P. W. Cook, S. E. Schuster, M. G. Rosenfield, M. R. Polcari, R. H. Dennard, and B. Davari, “SOI for a 1-Volt CMOS Technology and Application to a 512Kb SRAM with 3.5ns Access Time,” IEDM Dig., pp. 813–816, 1993.Google Scholar
- Y. Kado, T. Ohno, M. Harada, K. Deguchi and T. Tsuchiya, “Enhanced Performance of Multi-GHz PLL LSIs Using Sub-l/4-Micron Gate Ultrathin Film CMOS/SIMOX Technology with Synchrotron X-Ray Lithography,” IEDM Dig., pp. 243–246, 1993.Google Scholar
- M. H. Hanes, A. K. Agarwal, T. W. O’Keeffe, H. M. Hobgood, J. R. Szedon, T. J. Smith, R. R. Siergiej, P. G. McMullin, H. C. Nathanson, M. C. Driver, and R. N. Thomas, “MICROXIM—An All-Silicon Technology for Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits,” IEEE Elec. Dev. Let., Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 219–221, May 1993.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R. Dekker, W. T. A. v.d. Einden, and H. G. R. Maas, “An Ultra Low Power Lateral Bipolar Polysilicon Emitter Technology on SOI,” IEDM Dig., pp. 75–78, 1993.Google Scholar
- W. M. Huang, K. Klein, M. Grimaldi, M. Racanelli, S. Ramaswami, J. Tsao, J. Foerstner, and B. Y. Hwang, “TFSOI BiCMOS Technology for Low Power Applications,” IEDM Dig., pp. 449–452, 1993.Google Scholar
- G. G. Shahidi, D. D. Tang, B. Davari, Y. Taur, P. McFarland, K. Jenkins, D. Danner, M. Rodriguez, A. Megdanis, E. Petrillo, M. Polcari and T. H. Ning, “A Novel High-Performance Lateral Bipolar on SOI,” IEDM Dig., pp. 663–666, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. L. Alles, “Thin-Film SOI Emerges,” IEEE Spectrum, pp. 37–45, June 1997.Google Scholar
- T. Stanley, “Semiconductor Wafer Bonding: Science, Technology and Applications,” Elec. Chem. Soc. Proc, Vol. 93–29, p. 303, 1993.Google Scholar
- A. J. Auberton-Herve, “SOI: Materials to Systems,” IEDM Dig., pp. 3–10, 1996.Google Scholar