Manufacturing Strategy in the Netherlands: Context and Perspective
The purpose of this chapter is to present some of the context of the Dutch manufacturing industry and to use this background to put into perspective what we think are the most salient results of the Dutch part of the IMSS. Firstly, the chapter will address the macro-economic context and the structure of the Dutch industry, and put both into an international perspective. Next, some key sociocultural dimensions will be described and illustrated with reference to the organisation and functioning of politics, religion, industrial relations and education in the Netherlands. Then, the most interesting IMSS results are presented in the light of other observations on the Netherlands and its industry, and discussed in the perspective of the macro-economic, industrial and sociocultural context introduced before. The chapter concludes with some lessons for Dutch industry.
KeywordsQuality Function Deployment Work Council Full Time Equivalent Dutch Company Delivery Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.T. Kearney en Knight Wendling (1994) Produceren in Nederland. Aanpak om de produktieperformance van de Nederlandse maakindustrie to verbeteren, July.Google Scholar
- AWT (Adviesraad voor het Wetenschaps-en Technologiebeleid - Council for Scientific and Technological Policy) (1994) Technologie en Economische Structuur,`s Gravenhage, April.Google Scholar
- Boer, H. (1991) Organising Innovative Manufacturing Systems,Gower/Avebury, Aldershot. CBS (Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek - Central Statistical Office) (1995) Statistisch Jaarboek. Google Scholar
- Draaijer, D.J. (1993) Market-oriented manufacturing systems. Theory and practice, PhD thesis, University of Twente, Enschede.Google Scholar
- EZ (Ministerie van Economische Zaken - Ministry of Economic Affairs) (1995) Kennis in beweging. Over kennis en kunde in de Nederlandse economie,`s Gravenhage, June.Google Scholar
- Hofstede, G. (1980) Culture’s Consequences - International Differences in Work-Related Values, Sage Publications, Beverly Hills.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, P. (1991) Management in the Netherlands, Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Rabobank (1994) Offers and Trends. 75 visies op het Nederlandse bedr sleven.1994/1995,18.Google Scholar