The Japanese Model — What is It and to What Extent Has It Diffused to the West?
Over the past 30 years, Japanese companies have developed a series of distinctive new approaches to the management manufacturing. The resulting changes in the level of both product and production performance in sectors such as electronics and automotives have resulted in Japan being seen as the world leader in manufacturing. These approaches have been known by many names, initially, and still in Japan as Toyota Production System, and in the West as Just-in-Time management, continuous flow production and World Class manufacturing. Most recently and probably most accurately the term lean production has been coined by Krafcik (1988) and Womack et al. (1990) based on their study of the global automotive industry. Approaches such as Total Quality Management have also been a central part of Japanese approaches.
KeywordsQuality Function Deployment Statistical Process Control Lean Production Material Requirement Planning Toyota Production System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hanson, P., and Voss, C. (1993) Made in Britain, IBM ( UK) and London Business School, London.Google Scholar
- Hanson, P., Blackmon K., Oak B., and Voss, C. (1995) `Competitiveness of European manufacturing’, Business Strategy Review.Google Scholar
- Krafcik, J. F. (1988)’Triumph of the Lean Production system’, Sloan Management Review,30 1, Fall.Google Scholar
- Oliver N., Delbridge R., Jones D., and Lowe J. (1994) `World class manufacturing: further evidence in the Lean Production debate’, British Journal of Management, June, 53–64Google Scholar
- Schmenner, R., and Rho, B.H. (1991) In international comparison of factory productivity’, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 10, 4, 16–31.Google Scholar
- Schonberger, R. (1982) Japanese Manufacturing Techniques, The Free Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Schonberger, R. (1986) World Class Manufacturing: The Lessons of Simplicity Applied, The Free Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Voss, C.A, C.A., `The diffusion of Lean Production from Japan to the West’, Paper presented to the Academy of Management Conference, Las Vegas, NV, August 1992.Google Scholar
- Womack J.P., Jones D.T. and Roos D. (1990) The Machine That Changed the World, MacMillan.Google Scholar