Optical Free-Space Interconnections Inside Parallel Architectures: Onera-Cert Activities
Researchers are increasingly considering optics as a means of relaying electronic interconnections applied to parallel computer architectures. This paper presents the ONERA-CERT point of view by way of the Milord, Oedipe architectures studied in our laboratories.
KeywordsContrast Ratio Single Instruction Multiple Data Free Space Optic Interprocessor Communication Reconfiguration Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. H. Brenner, M. Kufner, and S. Kufner. Highly parallel arithmetic algorithms for digital optical processor using symbolic substitution logic. Applied Optics, 25 (18), Sept. 1986.Google Scholar
- R. F. Carson, M. L. Lovejoy, K. L. Lear, M. E. Warren, O. Blum, S. P. Kilcoyne, T. Du, P. K. Seigal, D. C. Craft, and B. H. Rose. Low-power, parallel photonic interconnections for multi-chip module applications. In 45th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, May 1995.Google Scholar
- P. Churoux, M. Fracès, M. Laug, D. Comte, P. Siron, and X. Thibault. Optical crossbar network analysis. volume 862, page 42, Cannes, 1987.Google Scholar
- M. Fracès, J.-P. Bouzinac, P. Churoux, M. Laug, D. Comte, P. Siron, and X. Thibault. A multiprocessor based on an optical crossbar network: The MILORD project. volume 963, pages 223–231, Toulon, Aug.-Sept. 1988.Google Scholar
- R. H. Katz and J. L. Hennessy. High performance microprocessor architectures. International Journal of High Speed Electronic, 1 (1): 7403, 1990.Google Scholar
- A. V. Krishnamoorthy, A. L. Lentine, K. W. Goossen, J. A. Walker, T. K. Woodward, J. E. Ford, G. F. Aplin, L. A. D’Asaro, S. P. Hui, B. Tseng, R. Leibenguth, D. Kossives, D. Dahringer, L. M. F. Chirovsky, and D. A. B. Miller. 3-D integration of MQW modulators over active submicron CMOS circuits: 375 Mb/s transimpedance receiver-transmitter circuit. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 7 (11), Nov. 1995.Google Scholar
- M. Lebby, C. A. Gaw, W. Jiang, P. A. Kiely, C. L. Shieh, P. R. Claisse, J. Ramdani, D. H. Hartman, D. B. Schartz, and J. Grula. Characteristics of VCSEL arrays for parallel optical interconnects. In IEEE, editor, Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 1996.Google Scholar
- D. A. B. Miller et Al. The quantum well self-electrooptic effect device: Optoelectronic bistability and oscillation, and self-linearized modulation. IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 21 (9), Sept. 1985.Google Scholar
- R. A. Nordin, W. R. Holland, and M. A. Shahid. Advanced optical interconnection technology in switching equipement. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 13 (6), June 1995.Google Scholar
- J. Tanida and Y. Ichioca. A paradigm for digital optical computing based on coded pattern processing. Int. J. of Optical Computing, 1: 3819, 1990.Google Scholar
- A. Trew and G. Wilson. Past, Present, Parallel. A Survey of Available Parallel Computing System. Springer-Verlag, 1991.Google Scholar