There are extreme situations where even with the best quantization algorithms it is hard or impossible to mask quantization contours. This is the case, for example, in two-level quantization, which must be used for display on one-bit graphical output devices. Such output devices are very common: laser printers and phototypesetters are examples of them. In spite of their limitations in what concerns color reconstruction, they can be used to display grayscale images. As we will see in Chapter 11, offset color printing also reduces, via color separation, to the printing of grayscale images on one-bit devices.
KeywordsQuantization Error Grayscale Image Threshold Function Black Pixel Hilbert Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bayer, B. E. (1973). An optimum method for two-level rendition of continuous-tone pictures. In International Conference on Communications, Conference Record, pp. 26–11 to 26–15.Google Scholar
- Belluzzo, A. M. et al. (1986). Waldemar Cordeiro: Urna aventura da razâo. Museu de Arte Comtemporânea, Universidade de São Paulo, Sao Paulo.Google Scholar
- Fabris, A. (1990). Portinari, pintor social. Editora Perspectiva and Editora da Universidade de Sao Paulo, São Paulo.Google Scholar
- Floyd, R. W and Steinberg, L. (1975). An adaptive algorithm for spatial gray scale. In SID 75, Intl. Symp. Dig. Tech. Papers, 36.Google Scholar
- Limb, J. O. (1969). Design of dither waveforms for quantized visual signals. Bell System Tech. J., 2555–2582.Google Scholar
- MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) (1940). Portinari of Brazil. The Museum of Modern Art, New York.Google Scholar
- Ostromoukhov, V. and Hersch, R. (1995). Artistic Screening. Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH ‘85 Proceedings), 219–228.Google Scholar
- Peter, F. (1992). Postscript Screening: Adobe Accurate Screens. Adobe Press, Mountain View, CA.Google Scholar
- Roberts, L. G. (1962). Picture coding using pseudo-random noise. IRE Trans. Infor. Theory, IT-8: 145–154.Google Scholar
- Ulichney, R. (1987). Digital Halfioning. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Velho, L. and Gomes, J. (1995). Stochastic screening dithering with adaptive clustering. Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH ‘85 Proceedings), 273–276.Google Scholar
- Witten, I. H. and Neal, M. (1982). Using Peano curves for bilevel display of continuous-tone images. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 47–52.Google Scholar