Computation of Mendelian Likelihoods
Rigorous analysis of human pedigree data is a vital concern in genetic epidemiology, human gene mapping, and genetic counseling. In this chapter we investigate efficient algorithms for likelihood computation on pedigree data, placing particular stress on the pioneering algorithm of Elston and Stewart . It is no accident that their research coincided with the introduction of modern computing. To analyze human pedigree data is tedious, if not impossible, without computers. Pedigrees lack symmetry, and all simple closed-form solutions in mathematics depend on symmetry. The achievement of Elston and Stewart  was to recognize that closed-form solutions are less relevant than good algorithms. However, the Elston-Stewart algorithm is not the end of the story. Evaluation of pedigree likelihoods remains a subject sorely in need of further theoretical improvement. Linkage calculations alone are among the most demanding computational tasks in modern biology.
KeywordsMyotonic Dystrophy Recombination Fraction Heterozygous Locus Location Score Exclusion Probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aslanidis C, Jansen G, Amemiya C, Shutler G, Mahadevan M, Tsilfidis C, Chen C, Alleman J, Wormskamp NGM, Vooijs M, Buxton J, Johnson K, Smeets HJM, Lennon GG, Carrano AV, Korneluk RG, Wieringa B, deJong PJ (1992) Cloning of the essential myotonic dystrophy region and mapping of the putative defect. Nature 355:548–551CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Boehnke M (1991) Allele frequency estimation from data on relatives. Amer J Hum Genet 48:22–25Google Scholar
- Dickson LE (1939) New First Course in the Theory of Equations. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Haidane JBS (1919) The combination of linkage values, and the calculation of distance between the loci of linked factors. J Genet 8:299–309Google Scholar
- Kruglyak L, Daly MJ, Lander ES (1995) Rapid multipoint linkage analysis of recessive traits in nuclear families, including homozygosity mapping. Amer J Hum Genet 56:519–527Google Scholar
- Kruglyak L, Daly MJ, Reeve-Daly MP, Lander ES (1996) Parametric and nonparametric linkage analysis: a unified multipoint approach. Amer J Hum Genet 58:1347–1363Google Scholar
- Lange K, Goradia TM (1987) An algorithm for automatic genotype elimination. Amer J Hum Genet 40:250–256Google Scholar
- Litt M, Kramer P, Browne D, Gancher S, Brunt ERP, Root D, Phromchotikul T, Dubay CJ, Nutt J (1994) A gene for Episodic Ataxia/Myokymia maps to chromosome 12pl3. Amer J Hum Genet 55:702–709Google Scholar
- Murphy EA, Chase GA (1975) Principles of Genetic Counseling. Year Book Medical Publishers, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Ott J (1974) Estimation of the recombination fraction in human pedigrees: efficient computation of the likelihood for human linkage studies. Amer J Hum Genet 26:588–597Google Scholar
- Ott J (1991) Analysis of Human Genetic Linkage, revised ed. Johns Hopkins University Press, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- Terwilliger JD, Ott J (1994) Handbook of Human Genetic Linkage. Johns Hopkins University Press, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar