While walking to breakfast with Paul the next day, I remarked that almost everything had gone our way. When was the bubble going to burst? Unfortunately, these innocent remarks turned out to be prophetic.
KeywordsCritical Position Standard Move Divine Intervention Strong Side Entire Game
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Despite this loss, the Deep Thought program won its remaining four games and ended up in first place.Google Scholar
- 2.Tinsley’s notes, reprinted in Checkers, 1992 annual edition.Google Scholar
- 3.Paul Lu, personal correspondence, July 31, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.After the match, as a form of self-punishment, I set this position up and had Chinook analyze it. With an additional two minutes of computing, the program switched back to the correct b6-c5.Google Scholar
- 5.Darrell Makarenko. Fortunately, his poker abilities weren’t as keen as his wit.Google Scholar
- 6.Tinsley’s notes, reprinted in Checkers, 1992 annual editionGoogle Scholar
- 7.As Dap Hartmann points out, this isn’t so strange. After all, many people do the same thing with the stock exchange, without knowing much about business or economics.Google Scholar
- 8.Tinsley’s notes, reprinted in Checkers, 1992 annual edition.Google Scholar
- 9.William Hartston, “The Doctor Brings Chinook Down to Earth,” The Independent, August 31, 1992.Google Scholar