Trauma Memory and Alcohol Abuse
This chapter serves as a theoretical overview of the relationship between trauma memory and alcohol abuse. The chapter commences with a description of the cognitive symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), followed by a review of the literature on the co-morbidity of PTSD and alcohol abuse/dependence. The bulk of the chapter involves a discussion of mechanisms that may account for the high co-morbidity of PTSD and alcohol disorders, with particular focus on those mechanisms involving memory. Some recommendations for future research and clinical practice are also made.
KeywordsAlcohol Abuse Traumatic Event Ptsd Symptom Attentional Bias Anxiety Sensitivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Baker, T. B., Morse, E., Sherman, J. E. (1987). The motivation to use drugs: A psychobiological analysis of urges. In R C. Rivers (Ed.), The Nebraska Symposium on Motivation: Alcohol use and abuse (pp. 257–323 ). Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.Google Scholar
- Clark, D. B., Jacob, R. G. (1992). Anxiety disorders in 30 adolescents with alcohol abuse and dependence [Summary], Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 16, 371.Google Scholar
- Kramer, M., Schoen, L. S., Kinney, L. (1984). The dream experience in dream-disturbed Vietnam veterans. In B. A. van der Kolk (Ed.), Post-traumatic stress disorder: Psychological and biological sequelae (pp. 82–95 ). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- LaCoursiere, R. B., Godfrey, K. E., Ruby, L. M. (1980). Traumatic neurosis in the etiology of alcoholism: Vietnam and other trauma. American Journal of Psychiatry, /37,966–968.Google Scholar
- Loewenstein, R. J., Hornstein, N, Farber, B. (1988). Open trial of clonazepam in the treatment of post-traumatic stress symptoms in MPD. Dissociation, 1, 3–12.Google Scholar
- McNally, R. J. (1994). Panic disorder: A critical analysis. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Samoluk, S. B., Stewart, S. H. (1995). Attentional bias for alcohol cues as a function of food deprivation and anxiety sensitivity [Summary]. Convention proceedings for the 29th annual meeting of the Association for Advancement of Behaviour Therapy, 246.Google Scholar
- Stewart, S. H., Achille, M., Dubois-Nguyen, I., Pihl, R. 0. (1992). Alcohol effects on selective attention for threat in anxiety sensitive females [Summary]. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behaviour, 38, 309.Google Scholar