Computation and Inference in Semiparametric Efficient Estimation
This paper examines computational issues in semiparametric efficient estimation of stochastic panel distance functions. Our basic model is an extension of Hausman and Taylor (1981), Park and Simar (1995), Park et al. (1996), and allows for a subset of the regressors to be correlated with the random effects. We motivate issues of computation and inference by analyzing the productive efficiency of U.S. banks.
KeywordsBanking Industry Kernel Estimate Stochastic Frontier Kernel Estimator Stochastic Frontier Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akhavein, Jalal D., P.A.V.B. Swamy, and Stephen B. Taubman, 1996, `A general method of deriving the efficiencies of banks from a profit function’, Journal of Productivity Analysis, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Bauer, Paul W., Allen N. Berger, and David B. Humphrey, 1993, `Efficiency and productivity growth in U.S. banking’, in H.O. Fried, C.A.K. Lovell, and S.S. Schmidt (Eds), The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 386 /1 13.Google Scholar
- Begun, J.M., W.J. Hall, W.M. Huang, and J.A. Wellner, 1983, `Information and asymptotic efficiency in parametric-nonparametric models’, Annals of Statistics 11, 432–452.Google Scholar
- Berger, Allen N. (1991), `The profit-concentration relationship in banking’, Finance and Economics Discussion Series (FEDS) No. 176, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.Google Scholar
- Berger, Allen N. and David Humphrey, 1992, `Measurement and efficiency issues in commercial banking’, in Zvi Griliches (Ed.), Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, Chicago: National Bureau of Economic Research, University of Chicago Press, pp. 245–279.Google Scholar
- Bickel, P.J., C.A.J. Klaassen, Y. Ritov, and J.A. Wellner, 1992, Efficient and Adaptive Estima- tion in Non-and Semi-Parametric Models, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Good, D., M.I. Nadiri, Lars-Hendrik Roller, and R.C. Sickles, 1992, `Some implications for the efficiency and welfare gains in the European airline industry’, Journal of Productivity Analysis, special issue edited by J. Mairesse and Z. Griliches.Google Scholar
- Lovell, C.A. Knox, Sue Richardson, Peter Travers, and Lisa Wood, 1994, `Resources and functionings: A new view of inequality in Australia’, in Wolfgang Eichhorn (Ed.), Models and Measurement of Welfare and Inequality, Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Park, B.U., R.C. Sickles, and L. Simar, 1996, `Stochastic frontiers: A semiparametric approach’, Journal of Econometrics, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, P. and R.C. Sickles, 1984, `Production frontiers and panel data’, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 2, 367–374.Google Scholar
- Silverman, B.W., 1986, Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis, London: Chapman and Hall.Google Scholar