Planning for Panel Surveys in the San Francisco Bay Area
Major household travel surveys were conducted in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1965, 1981 and 1990. Planners at San Francisco’s Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) envisioned the 1990 survey as the first wave of a multi-wave household panel survey designed to capture both short and long-term changes in regional travel behavior. Of the 10,900 households who participated in 1990, 88% indicated their willingness to participate in future waves of the survey. A second wave of data collection was planned for 1992 or 1993. But lack of funding delayed Wave 2 data collection until 1996. This raises concerns about attrition effects, and highlights the difficulties associated with developing and maintaining metropolitan panel surveys in an era of shifting priorities.
KeywordsTravel Behavior Panel Survey Travel Pattern Travel Survey Transportation Research Record
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Garrison, W.L. and Wouxnu, R.D. (1966) Monitoring Urban Travel. Final report of Project 2–8: Estimation and Evaluation of Diverted and Generated (Induced) Traffic. Department of Civil Engineering and Transportation Center, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.Google Scholar
- Kouo, H.P.H. and Ptmvis, C.L. (1984) Changes in regional travel characteristics in the San Francisco Bay Area: 1960–1981. Transportation Research Record 987, 57–66.Google Scholar
- Kouo, H.P.H. and Puiwis, C.L. (1989) Regional travel forecasting model system for the San Francisco Bay Area. Transportation Research Record 1220, 58–65.Google Scholar
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission. (1993) Trip Linking Procedures: 1990 Bay Area Household Travel Survey. Working Paper No. 3. Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Oakland, California.Google Scholar
- Purvis, C.L. (1989) Sample Design for the 1990 Bay Area Household Travel Survey: 1990 MTC Travel Survey. Working Paper No. 1. Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Oakland, California.Google Scholar
- Purvis, C.L. (1990) Survey of Travel Surveys III. Transportation Research Record 1271, 23–32.Google Scholar
- Purvis, C.L. (1993) Sample Weighting and Expansion: 1990 MTC Travel Survey. Working Paper No. 2. Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Oakland, California.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, M.M., Flynn, S.M. and Reinke, D.B. (1982) 1981 San Francisco Bay Area Travel Survey. Transportation Research Record 1220, 51–58.Google Scholar
- Ronenborn, S.A. and Purvis, C.L. (1991) 1990 Bay Area Travel Surveys: Data Collection and Data Analysis. Presentation to the 70th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Weiner, E. (1987) Urban Transportation Planning in the United States: An Historical Overview. Praeger, New York.Google Scholar
- Wachs, M., ed. (1996) Special issue, “A New Generation of Travel Demand Models”. Transportation, 23(3).Google Scholar