ECOS A Generic Codesign Environment for the Prototyping of Real Time Applications “From Formal Specifications to Hardware-Software Partitioning”
The work presented in this article results from a close cooperation between the teams of software design and architecture of the laboratory LaMi of Evry. Our purpose is the definition of hardware and software design techniques for heterogeneous architectures with case studies of telecommunication systems.The possibility of defining at the highest level of abstraction the specification of a hardware-software system allows to verify its coherence (prototyping, test, proof...). Oriented-object algebraic specifications (éTOILE-specifications) provide primitives tailored to the user’s behavior for this type of application. The design of the system by successive refinements of initial specifications results in simulatable codes for architecture and/or software targets and allows to verify coherence at every level. A partitioning algorithm is then used to choose between software and hardware implementations.
This research project will define hardware and software design techniques for heterogeneous architectures. These techniques begin to be used in a software environment allowing the rapid design of applications. We develop this tool in adequation with the study of telecommunication applications.
In addition, the set of specifications and internal representations of the design tool will be based on standards (VHDL, C and CDFG) allowing it to be easily opened to other tools or design methods. The resulting architectures will be described in VHDL at a RTL level, and will be compatible with the entry languages of industrial tools for ASIC or FPGA synthesis.
KeywordsObject Type Design Environment General Library Usual Operation Abstract Data Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Aiguier, “ Spécifications algébriques par objets: une proposition de formalisme et ses applications é l’implantation abstraite ”, PhD University Paris-Sud, Orsay, France, January 1995.Google Scholar
- ASAR: “ Towards a Multi-formalism Framework for Architectural Synthesis : the ASAR Project Proc. of the Int. Workshop on Hardware-Software Co- design, Sept. 94.Google Scholar
- G. Barrett “ Formal Methods Applied to a Floating-Point Number System ”, IEEE Trans, on Software Eng., May 1989, pp 611–617.Google Scholar
- E. Barros, W. Rosentiel, X. Xiong “ Hardware/Software Partitioning with UNITY ” Handouts of the International Workshop on Hardware-Software Co-Design, October 1992.Google Scholar
- G. Bernot, M. Bidoit, “ Proving the correctness of algebraically specified software: modularity and observability issues ”, Proc. AMAST ‘91, 2nd International Conference on Algebraic Methodology of Software Technology, Tech. Report of the University of Iowa, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Bidoit, “ The stratified loose approach: a generalisation of initial and loose semantics ”, Recent Trends in Data Type Specification, Selected Papers of the 5th Workshop on Specifications of Abstract Data Types, Gullane, Scotland, Springer Verlag L.N.C.S, pp. 1–22,1987.Google Scholar
- M. Bidoit, “ Pluss, un langage pour le développement de spécifications algébriques modulaires ”, PhD, University Paris-Sud, Orsay, France, 1989.Google Scholar
- K. Buchenreider, “ Hardware-Software Codesign: Codesign and Concurrent Engineering ” HOT TOPICS Computer Mag, Jan. 1993, pp. 85–87.Google Scholar
- G. De Micheli, “ Computer-Aided Hardware/Software Codesign ”, IEEE Micro, pp. 10–16, August 1994.Google Scholar
- R. Ernst, J. Henkel “ Hardware-Software Codesign of Embedded Controllers Based on Hardware Extraction ”, Handouts of the International Workshop on Hardware-Software Co-Design, October 1992.Google Scholar
- J. Fiadeiro, J.F. Costa, A. Sernadas, and T. Maibaum, “ Objects Semantics of Temporal Logic Specification ”, 8th Workshop on Specification of Abstract Data Types, joint with the 3rd COMPASS Workshop, Dourdan, Springer-Verlag LNCS 655, pp. 236–253, 1991.Google Scholar
- D.W Frank, M.K. Purvis, “ Hardware/Software Co-design: A Perspective ”, Proc. 13th ICSE, 1991, pp 344–352.Google Scholar
- J. A. Goguen, R. Diacanescu, “ Towards an Algebaic Semantic for the Object Paradigm ”, Recent Trends in Data Type Specification, Selected Papers of the 5th Workshop on Specifications of Abstract Data Types, joint with 4th COMPASS Workshop, Caldes de Malavella, Spain, pp. 1–29, October 1992.Google Scholar
- J.V. Guttag, J. Meseguer, “ Unifying functional, object-oriented and relational programming with logical semantics ”, Research Report SRI-CSL-87–7, SRI International, Menlo Park, California, 1987.Google Scholar
- R.K. Gupta, C.N. Coelho, G. De Micheli, “ Program Implementation Schemes for Hardware-Software Systems ”, Handouts of the International Workshop on Hardware-Software Co-Design, October 1992.Google Scholar
- R.K. Gupta, G. De Micheli, “ Hardware-Software Cosynthesis for Digital Systems ” , IEEE Design & Test of Computers, Sept. 1993, Vol. 10, N° 3, pp. 29–41.Google Scholar
- Henkel, T.H. Benner, R. Ernst, “ Hardware generation and partitioning effects in the COSYMA system ”, Handouts of the International Workshop on Hardware-Software Co-Design, October 1992.Google Scholar
- A. Kalavade, E.A. Lee, “ Manisfestations of heterogeneity in Hardware/Software Codesign ”, Proc. of DAC, pp. 437–438, June 1994.Google Scholar
- S. Kumar, J.H. Aylor, B.W. Johnson, W.A. Wulf, “ Framework for Hardware/Software Codesign ”, Handouts of the International Workshop on Hardware-Software Co-Design, October 1992.Google Scholar
- S. Kumar, J.H. Aylor, B.W. Johnson, W.A. Wulf, “ Exploring Hardware/Software Abstractions & Alternatives for Codesign ”, Handouts of the International Workshop on Hardware Software Co-Design, Oct. 1993.Google Scholar
- B. Meyer, “ Object-oriented software construction ”, Prentice-Hall, 1988.Google Scholar
- T. Moineau, “ Réutilisation de logiciel: une approche algébrique, son application é Ada et les outils associés ”, Ph.D.Thesis, University Paris-Sud, Orsay, January 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Sernadas, C. Sernadas, J.F. Costa, “ Object Specification Logic ”, Internal Report, INESC, University of Lisbon, 1992.Google Scholar
- F. Vahid, J. Gong, D. Gajski: “ A Binary-Constraint Search Algorithm for Minimizing Hardware during Hardware/Software Partitionning ”, Proc. of the Euro-DAC, pp. 214–219, Sept. 1994.Google Scholar
- N.S. Woo, A.E. Dunlop, W. Wolf, “ Codesign from Cospecification ”, IEEE Computer Magazine, Jan. 1994, pp 42–47.Google Scholar