Algorithmic Prefix Complexity
While the development of an algorithmic theory of complexity according to the original definitions (plain Kolmogorov complexity) in Chapter 2 was very fruitful, for certain goals the mathematical framework is not yet satisfactory. This has resulted in a plethora of proposals of modified measures to get rid of one or the other problem. Let us list a few conspicuous inconveniences.
KeywordsTuring Machine Binary String Recursive Function Kolmogorov Complexity Uniform Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
History and References
- [L.A. Levin, Problems Inform. Transmission, 10:3(1974), 206–210.Google Scholar
- [R.J. Solomonoff, A preliminary report on a general theory of inductive inference, Tech. Rept. ZTB-138, Zator Company, Cambridge, Mass., November 1960; Inform. Contr., 7(1964), 1–22, 224-254].Google Scholar
- J. Tromp [‘A CL-based definition of Kolmogorov complexity,’ Manuscript, CWI, Amsterdam, November 1996].Google Scholar
- [L.A. Levin, Problems Inform. Transmission, 10:3(1974), 206–210; S.K. Leung-Yan-Cheong and T.M. Cover, IEEE Trans. Inform.Google Scholar
- Theory, IT-24(1978), 331-339; R. Solovay, Lecture Notes, UCLA, 1975, unpublished].Google Scholar
- [C.H. Bennett and M. Gardner, Scientific American, 241:11(1979), 20–34].Google Scholar
- [Adv. Appl. Math., 8(1987), 119-146; Algorithmic Information Theory, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1987].Google Scholar
- R.M. Solovay [Lecture Notes, UCLA, 1975, unpublished].Google Scholar