You must learn some of the rules that we will derive for particular crystal structures; one example will be to determine which reflections are allowed for an fcc crystal.
The other lesson is more general and is really concerned with why we have these rules. Why are certain reflections absent or weak and how can you use this information to learn more about your material?
KeywordsLattice Point Reciprocal Lattice Superlattice Reflection Reciprocal Lattice Point Superlattice Spot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews, K.W., Dyson, D.J., and Keown, S.R. (1971) Interpretation of Electron Diffraction Patterns, 2nd edition, Plenum Press, New York. Stereographic projections, angles, spacings, and much more.Google Scholar
- Cullity, B.D. (1978) Elements of X-ray Diffraction, 2nd edition, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Massalski, T., Okamoto, H., Subramanian, P.R., and Kacprzak, L., Eds. (1990) Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, 2nd edition, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio. Appendix Al gives a complete list of the Pearson Symbols (L12, etc.) with their space group and Strukturbericht designation.Google Scholar
- Misell, D.L. and Brown, E.B. (1987) Electron Diffraction: An Introduction for Biologists, Volume 12 of the series Practical Methods in Electron Microscopy (Ed. A.M. Glauert), Elsevier, New York. Materials science students should not be put off by the title: this is an invaluable practical guide to indexing diffraction patterns and more.Google Scholar
- Crystal Kit, see Section 1.5.Google Scholar
- Desktop Microscopist, see Section 1.5.Google Scholar
- Dodsworth, J., Kohlstedt, D.L., and Carter, C.B. (1983) Adv. Ceram. 6, 102.Google Scholar
- Edington, J.W. (1976) Practical Electron Microscopy in Materials Science, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.Google Scholar
- Hahn, T. (1988) International Tables for Crystallography. Brief teaching edition of volume A, space-group symmetry, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Lee, W.E. and Lagerlof, K.P.D. (1985) J. Electron Microsc. Tech. 2, 247 (errata in).Google Scholar