Myocardial Dystrophy in Athletes
It is recognized that moderate and properly selected physical exercises play an important role in strengthening of health and prophylaxis of diseases of cardiovascular system (CVS) (Blair et al, 1989). On the contrary, excessive physical loads, so typical of modern sports, can result in overstrain of CVS. Today different causes of high risk of sudden death due to physical loads (Jaeger, 1990; Maron, 1993), high frequency of various arrhythmias and idiopathic calcinosis of valve apparatus and under valvular structures in athletes are widely discussed in the literature. These facts are explained in absolutely different ways among which the least attention is given to the role of CVS overstrain and possibility of “pathologic athlete’s heart”. The concept of “pathologic athlete’s heart” and myocardial dystrophy (MD) was proposed by G.Ph. Lang (1936). The term MD in the narrow sense of the ‘word was considered by G.Ph. Lang as all myocardial impairments of non-inflammatory and non-coronary genesis provoked by various extracardiac causes. To indicate the myocardial impairments in athletes, the term MD due to physical overload was proposed later (Dembo, 1991). A.G. Dembo proposed that this diagnosis be applied in all cases of repolarisation disturbances (RD) on the resting ECG.
KeywordsMyocardial Hypertrophy Physical Load Sinus Sick Syndrome Dystrophic Change Pathogenic Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Danko, J. I., Cusnetsov, G. I., Loginov, V. G., 1986, Motivation as one of causes repolarisation disturbances in athletes, 3 Russian congress of sports medicine, Sverdlovsk:118.Google Scholar
- Dembo, A. G., 1991, Dieseases of cardiovascular system, — In “Dieseases and injures in Athletes”. — Edited by A.G. Dembo, Leningrad, Medicine:336.Google Scholar
- Dibner, R. D., 1986, About differencial diagnosis of chronic hear overstrain in athletes, Cardiologia:108–111.Google Scholar
- Jaeger, 1990, La most subite dans la pratique du sport, Comment en reduire l’incidence? Ann.cardiol.Angeol. 39:565–570Google Scholar
- Lang, G. Ph., 1936, Questions of cardiology, M., Medicine: 189.Google Scholar
- Maron, B. J., 1993, Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in athletes, The Physical and Sportsmedicine 21:83–91.Google Scholar
- Sarkisov, D. C., Vtyurin, B. V., 1971, Myocardial dystrophia, it reversibility and way of prophylaxis in book Myocardial dystrophya, Leningrad:69–78.Google Scholar
- Zemtsovsky, E. V., 1994, Myocardial dystrophya in athletes, Cardiology 34:656–74.Google Scholar