Surfactants in Coatings and Paint Applications
Several properties of the surfactants and their applications in waterborne coatings and paint formulations were discussed. These formulations are in colloidal form, which contained polymer as a binder, pigments, solvents, water and surfactants as stabilizers, emulsifiers, wetting agents, dispersants, defoamers etc. in order to obtain the desired performance properties of the coated films. The selection and performance of a given surfactant depend on the structure and functional groups. Alcohol ethoxylates, sulfosuccinates and alkanolamides are extensively used as emulsifying agents in latex formation and paint stabilization to reduce particle size in order to prevent settling of the dispersed phase. A method of paint evaluation and performance characterization was described in order to determine proper surfactant selection for optimum properties of the coating and paint films.
KeywordsEmulsion Polymerization Paint Film Paint Formulation Alcohol Ethoxylate Interfacial Free Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Piirma, I., Editor, “Emulsion Polymerization” Academic Press, New York, NY, (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.Daniels, E.S., Sudol, E.D. and El-Aasser, M.S., Editors, “Polymer Latexes: Preparation, Characterization and Applications”, ACS Symposium Series No. 492, (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Athey, R.J., Jr., “Emulsion Polymer Technology” Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, K.C., El-Aasser, M.S. and Vanderholff, J.W., Batch and semicontinuous emulsion copolymerization of vinylidene chloride and butyl methacrylate I: Kinetics of VDC-BMA emulsion polymerization and surface and colloid properties of VDC-BMA latexes, J. App. Polym. Sci., 45, 2207, (1992).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Durali, M., An investigation into the structure and breakup of aggregated latex particles, Ph. D. Dissertation, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA., pp.215, (1993).Google Scholar
- 11.Martins, C.R., Waterborne Coatings: Emulsions and Water — Soluble Paints, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, p. 50, (1981).Google Scholar