Low Power Oversampled A/D Converters
The fundamental and practical power limits of A/D converters are identified. It will be demonstrated that oversampled A/D converters are power-efficient for the medium to high resolution range. For this type of converters, some practical low power circuit implementations are discussed. Finally, this paper will introduce the novel “analog floating point” concept for oversampled A/D. As will be demonstrated, significant power can be saved on the system level by clearly distinguishing the required SNR and the total dynamic range that has to be respected.
KeywordsPower Consumption Thermal Noise Minimum Power Consumption Input Common Mode Common Mode Feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Vittoz, “Future of Analog in the VLSI environment”, Proc. ISCAS’ 90, pp. 1372-1375.Google Scholar
- E. Vittoz, “Low power design: Ways to approach the limits”, plenary session address ISSCC 1994, Feb 16–18, 1994, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- J.C. Candy, “Decimation for Sigma Delta Modulation”, IEEE Transactions on Communcations, Vol COM-34, No 1, pp 72-76, January 1986.Google Scholar
- O. Nys, E. Dijkstra, “Low power oversampled A/D converters”, ECCTD 1993, Davos, Aug 30–Sept 3, 1993.Google Scholar
- “Oversampling Delta-Sigma Data Converters”, edited by J.C. Candy and G.C. Temes, IEEE Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- E. Dijkstra, O. Nys, C. Piguet, M. Degrauwe, “On The Use of Modulo Arithmetic Comb Filters In Sigma Delta Modulators”, Proceedings from ICASSP-International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp 2001-2004, New York, April 11–14, 1988.Google Scholar
- E. Dijkstra, L. Cardoletti, O. Nys, C. Piguet, M. Degrauwe, “Wave Digital Decimation Filters In Oversampled A/D Converters”, Proceedings of ISCAS 88 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp 2327-2330, Helsinki, Finland, June 7–9, 1988.Google Scholar
- R. Castello and P.R. Gray, “A High-Performance Switched-Capacitor Filter”, IEEE JSSC, vol SC-20 No 6 pp 1122–1132, Dec. 1985.Google Scholar