Eradication of the Melon Fly from the Okinawa Islands in Japan: I. Estimation of Population Density and Number of Sterile Flies Required for Eradication
Eradication of the melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillet, was achieved in Kume island in 1976, and in the Miyako islands in 1986 through the application of the Sterile Insect Technique (SIT). We have been conducting the eradication project on the Okinawa islands since 1986. At first, we looked back over the past two successful examples and we discussed the estimation of wild melon fly population density, and the number of sterile flies to be released for eradication. We also discussed how to deal with the control strategy.
KeywordsSterile Insect Technique High Density Area Kawasaki Syndrome Flight Ability Okinawa Island
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ito, Y. 1977. A model of sterile insect release for eradication of the melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillett. J. Appl. Ent. Zool. 12: 303–312.Google Scholar
- Iwahashi, O. 1977. Eradication of the melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae, from Kume Is., Okinawa with the sterile insect release method. Res. Popul. Ecol. 19: 87–97.Google Scholar
- Koyama, J., Chigira, Y., Iwahashi, O., Kakinohana, H., Kuba, H. and Teruya, T., 1982. An estimation of the adult population of the melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillet (Diptera: Tephritidae), in Okinawa Island, Japan. J. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 17: 550–558.Google Scholar
- Nakamori, H., Kawano, S., Tanigushi, M., Kuba, H., Kakinohana, H., and Karimata, R. 1989. Evaluation of the released melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillet, at the early stage of eradication project on Miyako islands. Bull. Okinawa Agric. Exp. Sta. No. 13: 59–69.Google Scholar
- Ozaki, E.T. and Kobayashi, R.M. 1981. Effects of pupal handling during laboratory rearing on adult eclosion and flight capability in three Tephritid species. J. Econ. Entomol. 74: 520–525.Google Scholar
- Soemori, H., Kuba H., and Tsuji, I. 1982. Influence of sifting of pupae on the eclosion rate and flight ability of adult melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillet ( Diptera: Tephritidae) during a mass-rearing procedure. J. Appl. Ent. Zool. 26: 196–198.Google Scholar
- Taniguchi, M., Kuba, H., Nakamori, H., and Kakinohana, H. 1989. Improvement of emergence box for aerial distribution of the sterile adults of the melon fly, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillett ( Diptera: Tephritidae). Bull. Okinawa Agric. Exp. Sta. No. 13: 51–58.Google Scholar
- Teruya, T. and Nishimura, M. 1986. Quality control of mass-reared melon flies, Dacus cucurbitae Coquillet (Diptera: Tephritidae ): Flight ability of the flies fed immediately after adult eclosion and their subsequent longevity. Bull. Okinawa Agric. Exp. Sta. No. 11: 67–72.Google Scholar