Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Useful Adjunct in Evaluating the Abdominal Pregnancy
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in obstetrics has been limited to evaluating congenital anomalies, pelvic masses, pelvimetry and placental position. Though ultrasound will continue to be the primary diagnostic tool in evaluating pregnancy, MRI will likely have increased utilization. We report a case of abdominal pregnancy where ultrasound exam diagnosed an intraabdominal pregnancy but had difficulty in accurately localizing the placenta. MRI had an important role preoperatively in evaluating the relationships of the fetus and placenta to the abdominopelvic organs. An MRI was obtained to define the relationships between the intestines, placenta, fetus and pelvic vessels. This study facilitated our surgical approach for delivery of the fetus. Based on this experience, we feel MRI clearly has a role in detailing the anatomic relationships in the surgical approach for an abdominal pregnancy.
KeywordsObstet Gynecol Ectopic Pregnancy Maternal Obesity Abdominal Pregnancy Internal Iliac Vessel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hallat JG, Grove JA. Abdominal Pregnancy: A study of twenty-one consecutive cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 152: 444–449.Google Scholar
- 4.Smith FW, Adams A, Philips WP. NMR Imaging in Pregnancy. Lancet 1983; 1: 6162.Google Scholar
- 6.Weinreb, JC, Lowe TW, Santos-Ramos R, Cunningham, FG, Parkey, R. Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Obstetric Diagnosis Radiology. 1985; 154: 157–161.Google Scholar
- 7.Kelley JL, Edwards RP, Wozney P, Vaccarello, Laifer SA. Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Diagnose a Mullerian Anomaly During Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1990;75:3(2)521–523.Google Scholar
- 8.Yuh WTC, Demarino GB, Ludwig WD, Sato Y, Weiner CP. MR Imaging of pregnancy in Bicornuate Uterus. J Comput Assist Tomog. 1988; 12: 162–165.Google Scholar
- 9.Powell MC. Buckley J, Price H, Worthington BS, Symonds EM.Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Placenta Previa. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1986;154:565–569.Google Scholar
- 11.Cohen JM, Weinreb JC, Lowe TW, et al. MR Imaging of a Viable Full-Term Abdominal Pregnancy. Am J Radiol. 1985; 145: 407–408.Google Scholar
- 13.Hage ML, Wall LL, Killam A. Expectant Magagement of Abdominal Pregnancy-A report of 2 cases. Journal of Repro Med. 1988; 33: 407–410.Google Scholar