The Impact of New Architectures on the Ubiquitous Operational Amplifier
The operational amplifier has steadily evolved since its inception almost fifty years ago. Sometimes though, radically new architectures appear to fill market requirements. Also, the availability of new I.C. processes such as BiCMOS and Complementary Bipolar yield components which have not previously been available to the op-amp designer. This paper is a review of some recent and not so recent developments.
KeywordsOperational Amplifier Output Stage Slew Rate Input Stage Input Buffer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.R. Ragazzini, R.H. Randall, and F.A. Russell, “Analysis of Problems in Dynamics by Electronic Circuits”, Proc. IRE, May 1947.Google Scholar
- R.J. Widlar, “I.C. op amp with improved input-current characteristics”, EEE, December 1968, pp. 38–41.Google Scholar
- G. Erdi, “A Low Drift, Low Noise Monolithic Operational Amplifier”, Fairchild Semiconductor Application Brief #136, July 1969.Google Scholar
- D. Soderquist and G. Erdi, “The OP-07 Ultra-Low Offset Voltage Op Amp” PMI Application note #13.Google Scholar
- R.J. Widlar, “Design Techniques for Monolithic Operational Amplifiers”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-4, August 1969, pp. 184–191.Google Scholar
- R.J. Apfel and P.R. Gray, “A Monolithic Fast-Settling Feedforward Operational Amplifier using Doublet Compression Techniques”, ISSCC Dig. Tech. Papers, 1974, pp. 134–155.Google Scholar
- J.E. Solomon, “The Monolithic Op Amp: A Tutorial Study”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-9, December 1974, pp. 314–332.Google Scholar
- W.E. Hearn, “Fast slewing monolithic operational amplifier”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-6, February 1971, pp. 20–24.Google Scholar
- D. Bray, “A High Performance Micropower Op-Amp”, Proceedings of the BCTM, September 1991, pp. 281–284.Google Scholar
- R.J. Widlar, “Low Voltage Techniques”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, December 1978.Google Scholar
- J.H. Huijsing and D. Linebarger, “A low-voltage operational amplifier with rail-to-rail input and output ranges”, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, December 1985.Google Scholar