Differentiation Patterns in Eye Lens Fibers
The morphology and molecular interactions of lens fiber plasma membrane and cytoskeletal constituents are of particular interest with respect to the formation of specialized membrane domains, to the dynamics of lens accommodation, to aging, and to the cataractous process. We attempt to explore the chemical and ultrastructural features of the interfiber junctions and the existence of physical and/or biochemical relationships between lens fiber plasma membranes and those proteins that in a rather broad terminology are classified as cell motility or cytoskeletal constituents (Burridge et al., 1988; Geiger, 1985; Niggli and Burger, 1987).
KeywordsIntermediate Filament Hereditary Spherocytosis Lens Fiber Membrane Skeleton Intermediate Filament
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benedetti, E. L., Dunia, I., Ramaekers, F. C. S., and Kibbelaar, M. A., 1981, Lenticular plasma membranes and cytoskeleton, in: Molecular and Cellular Biology of the Eye Lens (H. Bloemen-dal, ed.), John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 137–184.Google Scholar
- Burridge, K., Beckerle, M., Croall, D., and Horwitz, A., 1987, A transmembrane link between the extracellular matrix and the cytoskeleton, in: Molecular Mechanisms in the Regulation of Cell Behavior, Modern Cell Biology., Vol. 5 (B. H. Satir, ed.), Alan, R. Liss, New York, pp. 147–149.Google Scholar
- Franke, W. W., Kapprell, H. P., and Cowin, P., 1987, Plakoglobin is a component of the filamentous subplasmalemmal coat of lens cells, J. Cell Biol. 43:301–315.Google Scholar
- Harding, C. V., Susan, R. S., Lo, W. K., Bobrowski, W. F., Maisel, H., and Chylack, L. T, 1985, The structure of the human cataractous lens, in: The Ocular Lens (H. Maisel, ed.), Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 367–389.Google Scholar
- Revel, J. P., Yancey, S. B., Nicholson, B. J., and Hoh, J., 1987, Sequence diversity of gap junction proteins, in: Junctional Complexes of Epithelial Cells, Ciba Foundation Symposium 125 (G. Bock and S. Clark, eds.), John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, pp. 108–127.Google Scholar