Performance Bounds for Subband Coding
The purpose of this chapter is to present some tutorial material in information theory which is pertinent to the subject of subband coding and to develop this material further in order to gain insight into the superior performance realized in subband coding systems. Except for the well-known result that PCM coding of subbands outperforms direct PCM coding of the full-band original (see ), which is known to be generally inefficient, there have been hardly any theoretical analyses which have shown a mean-squared error improvement for subband coding. The superior results of subband coding systems are largely empirical in nature and they have indeed been impressive in coding of images. In this chapter these superior results are quantified in formulas, which have not yet appeared in print elsewhere.
KeywordsAverage Mutual Information Test Channel Entropy Rate Differential Entropy Source Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W.A. Pearlman and P. Jakatdar, “A transform tree code for stationary Gaussian sources”, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-31, pp. 761–768.Google Scholar
- N.S. Jayant and P. Noll, Digital Coding of Waveforms, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1984.Google Scholar
- S. Nanda, A Tree Coding Theorem and Tree Coding of Subbands with Application to Images, Ph.D. dissertation, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, October 1988.Google Scholar
- P.H. Westerink, “An optimal bit allocation for subband coding”, Proc. 1988 IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., New York, April 1988, pp. 757–760.Google Scholar
- R.P. Rao and W.A. Pearlman, “On entropy rate for source encoding on a pyramid structure”, Abstracts of 1990 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, January 1990, San Diego, CA, pp. 57–58; also R.P. Rao and W.A. Pearlman, “On entropy rate of pyramid structures”, submitted to IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory.Google Scholar
- B. Mahesh and W.A. Pearlman, “Multiple rate code book design for vector quantization of image pyramids”, Applications of Digital Image Processing XIII, A. Tescher, Ed., Proc. SPIE 1349, July 1990.Google Scholar