In preparing a physician for the practice of family medicine, training and experience in surgery and some of its subspecialties are important essentials for completeness. Some family physicians will not do operating room or office surgery, but they still need exposure to clinical surgery, because it is more than just a technical therapeutic modality. Certain data-handling and problem-solving skills are necessary for all physicians who treat patients of all ages and with any organ system problem.
KeywordsInguinal Hernia Family Physician Anal Canal Peripheral Arterial Disease Anal Fissure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hill GJ, ed. Outpatient surgery. 2d ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.Codon RE, Nyhus LM, eds. Manual of surgical therapeutics. 4th ed. Boston: Little, Brown, 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.Wolcott MW, ed. Ambulatory surgery and the basics of emergency surgical care. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Snell GF, ed. Office surgery. Primary Care 1986;13(3):411–599.Google Scholar
- 5.Wong KC, Pace NL. Anesthesia for ambulatory surgery. In: Wolcott MW, ed. Ambulatory surgery and the basics of emergency surgical care. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1981: 12–29.Google Scholar
- 6.Roizen MF, Stanski DR. Drug competition and incompatibility. In: Condon RE, DeCosse JJ, eds. Surgical care—a physiological approach to clinical management. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1980: 415–450.Google Scholar
- 7.Anonymous. Medical letter on drugs and therapeutics. 1979; 21 (2): 5–12.Google Scholar
- 12.Gleysten J, Condon RE. Intestinal obstruetion. In: Condon RE, Nyhus LM, eds. Manual of surgical therapeutics. 6th ed. Boston: Little, Brown 1985: 139.Google Scholar
- 16.Couch MP. Peripheral venous disease. Mod Med 1986; 54 (8): 57–64.Google Scholar
- 17.Barnes RW. Managing peripheral vascular disease. J Cardiovasc Med 1981; 6 (1): 33–47.Google Scholar
- 18.Johnson DG, Matlak ME. Ambulatory pediatric surgery. In: Wolcott MW, ed. Ambulatory surgery and the basics of emergency surgical care. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott 1981: 466–498.Google Scholar