Diabetic Nephropathy and Pregnancy
Diabetic nephropathy (DN) is a great challenge to health care providers trying to obtain the best possible maternal and perinatal outcome during pregnancy [1–4]. This chapter focuses on the course of DN during and after pregnancy, predictors of perinatal outcome, and principles of management before and during pregnancy. Five series published in 1981–1987 [5–9], plus cases in the authors’ current series U.L. Kitzmiller, B.M. Straube, and J. Saxton: unpublished data on 14 diabetic women with nephropathy who completed pregnancy), representing a total pooled series of 115 patients who progressed to the third trimester, provide the basis for the accompanying data analysis.
KeywordsDiabetic Nephropathy Perinatal Outcome Diabetic Woman Proliferative Retinopathy Pool Series
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pedersen J: The pregnant diabetic and her newborn. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Rodman HM: Diabetic nephropathy: impact on the prognosis of the pregnant diabetic woman. In: Merkatz IR, Adam PAJ (eds) The diabetic pregnancy: a perinatal perspective. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.Reece EA, Coustan DR, Hayslett JP, et al.: Diabetic nephropathy: pregnancy performance and feto-maternal outcome. (In press,.)Google Scholar
- 8.Main EK, Main DM, Gabbe SG: Factors predicting perinatal outcome in pregnancies complicated by diabetic nephropathy (class F). Diabetes [Suppl 2] 33: 201a, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Christlieb AR, Warram JH, Krolewski AS: Hypertension: the major risk factor in juvenile-onset insulin-dependent diabetes. Diabetes [Suppl 2] 30: 90, 1981.Google Scholar
- 14.Baylis C: Renal disease in gravid animal models. Am J Kidney Dis (in press)Google Scholar
- 20.Mills J, NICHD Diabetes in Early Pregnancy Project: A prospective study of fetal losses in diabetic and control pregnancies from the third week post conception. Diabetes [Suppl 1] 33: 46A, 1984.Google Scholar
- 25.Sibai BM, Abdella TN, Anderson GD, Dilts PV Jr: Plasma volume findings in pregnant women with mild hypertension: therapeutic considerations. Am J Obstet Gynecol 145: 539, 1983.Google Scholar