Fiber Waveguide Sensors of Stress Waves in Solids
Optical fiber sensor systems have been applied to the detection of stress waves in solids. The optical fiber sensing elements in such systems may be embedded within the solids or attached to the surfaces of the solids. Fiber sensor output is proportional to the strain integrated along the sensing length of the fiber. This paper reviews the operation of such sensors and sensor systems, the reported experimental measurements of stress waves using such techniques, and the potential implications of such sensors in acoustoultrasonics.
KeywordsAcoustic Emission Optical Fiber Stress Wave Optical Fiber Sensor Acoustic Emission Event
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.B. W. Brennan, W. B. Spillman, and J. R. Lord, Proc. 3rd Ann. SEM Conf. on Hostile Evv. and High Temp. Measurements, Cincinnati (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.R. O. Claus and J. H. Cantrell, Detection of Ultrasonic Waves in Solids by an Optical Interferometer, Proc. IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. 2:719 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.W. J. Rowe, E. O. Raush, and P. D. Dean, Embedded Optical Fiber Sensor for Composite Structure Applications, in: “Proceedings of the SPIE Conference on Fiber Optics Sensors,” SPIE, Cambridge (1986)Google Scholar
- 6.R. L. Crane, A. B. Macander, and J. Gagorik, Fiber Optics for a Damage Assessment System for Fiber Reinforced Plastic Composite Structures, in: “Proceedings of the Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE,” D.O. Thompson and D.Chimenti, eds., Plenum, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.Proceedings of the NASA Workshop on Intelligent Materials, NASA, Hampton (1987) .Google Scholar
- 9.K. D. Bennet, R. O. Claus, and M. J. Pindera, Internal Monitoring of Acoustic Emission in Graphite/Epoxy Composites Using Embedded Optical Fiber Sensors, in: “Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation,” D. O. Thompson and D. Chimenti, eds., Plenum. New York (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.K. D. Bennet and R. O. Claus, “Proc. IEEE Region 3 Conference”, IEEE, Richmond (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.N. K. Shankarnarayanan, Optical Fiber Modal Domain Detection of Stress Waves, in: “Proceedings, IEEE Ultrasonic Symposium,” IEEE, Williamsburg (1986)Google Scholar
- 14.P. A. Ehrenfeuchter, “Modal Domain Sensing of Vibration in Beams,” M. S. Thesis. VPI&SU. Blacksburg (1986).Google Scholar
- 15.N. K. Shankaranarayanan, “Mode-Mode Interference in Optical Fibers: Analysis and Experiment”, M. S. Thesis, VPI&SU, Blacksburg (1987) .Google Scholar
- 16.B. Zimmerman, K. Murphy, and R. O. Claus, Local Strain Measurements Using Optical Fiber Splices and Time Domain Reflectometry, in: “Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation,” D. O. Thompson and Dale Chimenti, eds., Plenum, New York (1987) .Google Scholar