Presentation of the 20th Century Atmospheric CO2 Record in Smithsonian Spectrographic Plates
The history of 20th century scientific measurement programs does not contain many examples of long-running studies in which an important property of the atmosphere is reliably measured by the same person at the same site with precisions of >1%. One outstanding example is C. D. Keeling’s Mauna Loa record of CO2 measurements (Keeling et al. 1982). A program that ran for an even longer period of time in the early and mid-20th century is the Smithsonian Solar Constant Program, directed by Charles G. Abbott. Over the past several years, we have been studying whether a portion of the Smithsonian data set can be used to extend the record of atmospheric CO2 concentrations back to the early 20th century.
KeywordsOptical Depth Slit Width Equivalent Width Differential Curve Slit Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butler, C. P. and D. V. Hoyt. 1980. Measuring the solar constant at Mt. Montezuma. Sunworld 4: 81–86.Google Scholar
- Griffith, D. W. T. 1982. Calculation of carrier gas effects in non-dispersive infrared analysis. I. Theory. Tellus 34: 376–384.Google Scholar
- Griffith, D. W. T., C. D. Keeling, J. A. Adams, P. R. Girenther, and R. B. Bacastow. 1982. Calculations of carrier gas effects in non-dispersive infrared analyzers. II. Comparisons with equipment. Tellus 34: 385–397.Google Scholar
- Hoyt, D. V. 1979. The Smithsonial Astrophysical Observatory solar constant program. Rev. Geophys. and Space Physics 17: 427–458.Google Scholar
- Keeling, C. D., R. B., Bacastow, and T. P. Whorf. 1982. Measurements of the concentration of carbon dioxide at Mauna Loa Observatory, Hawaii. In W. C. Clark (ed), Carbon Dioxide Review 1982, pp. 377–385. Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Mihalas, P. 1970. Stellar Atmospheres. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Stokes, G. M., J. Brault, M. A. Brown, and D. W. Johnson (in preparation).Google Scholar
- Stokes, G. M. and M. A. Brown. 1983. Accurate integrated column density measurements of atmospheric carbon dioxide. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Atmospheric Spectroscopy, Oxfordshire, U.K., July 19–21, 1983.Google Scholar
- Volz, A., U. Schmidt, J. Rudolph, D. H. Ehhalt, F. J. Johnson, and A. Khedim. 1981. Vertical profiles of trace gases at mid-latitudes. Jul-Report No. 1742, Kernforschungsanlage, Julich, Federal Republic of Germany.Google Scholar
- Young, A. T. 1974. Atmospheric extinction. In N. P. Carleton (ed.), Methods of Experimental Physics, Vol. 12A: Astrophysics, pp. 123–180. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar