A Comparison of Kidney Disease in Type I and Type II Diabetes
- 135 Downloads
It should be self-evident that the manifestations of clinical diabetic nephropathy are dependent upon the development of serious lesions in the kidney.1 Thus, a comparison of nephropathy in Type I and Type II diabetes might logically focus on a comparison of the natural history of these lesions in these two disorders of glucose metabolism. Unfortunately, there is insufficient information available to provide a very precise description of either of these progressive processes let alone a comparison of the two. Herein we will attempt to summarize what, in our view, are some of the central issues in this area.
KeywordsDiabetic Nephropathy Glomerular Basement Membrane Urinary Albumin Excretion Mesangial Expansion Strict Glycemic Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.H.C. Balodimus, Diabetic nephropathy, in: “Joslin’s Diabetes Mellitus,” 11th edition, A. Marble, P. White, R.F. Bradley, L.P. Krall, ed., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia 526–561 (1971).Google Scholar
- 4.T.K.S. Rao, E.A. Friedman, Diabetic nephropathy in Brooklyn, in: “Diabetic Renal-Retinal Syndrome,” E.A. Friedman, F.A. L’Esperance Jr. eds., Grune and Stratton, New York, 3–8 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.F.L. Shapiro, C.M. Comty, Hemodialysis in diabetics-1981 update, in: “Diabetic Renal-Retinal Syndrome,” vol 2, E.A. Friedman, F.A. L’Esperance Jr., eds., Grune and Stratton, New York 309–320 (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.H.D. Siperstein, R.H. Unger, L.L. Madison, Studies of muscle capillary basement membrances in normal subjects, diabetic and pre-diabetic patients, J Clin Invest 47: 1973 (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.R. Osterby, Early phases in the development of diabetic glomerulopathy, Acta Med. Scand. 574 (Suppl):1 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.G. Tchobroutsky, Prevention and treatment of diabetic nehrophathy, in: “Advances in Nephrology,” vol. 9, J. Hamberger, J. Crosnier, J.P. Grunfeld, M.H. Maxwell, eds., Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, 663–86 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.A.M. Carpenter, F. Goetz, P. LeCompte, J. Williamson, Glomerulo-sclerosis in non-ketotic (Type II) diabetes: Autopsied cases from the University Study Group, submitted.Google Scholar
- 18.G.C. Viberti, J.C. Pickup, R.J. Jarrett, H. Keen, Effect of control of blood glucose on urinary excretion of albumin and B2-microglobulin in insulin-dependent diabetes, New Engl J. Med. 300: 638 (1979).Google Scholar