Pathophysiology of the Aging Heart and Circulation
Although both the prevalence and incidence of cardiovascular disease increase dramatically with advancing age, aging and disease are not synonymous. Therefore, when studying the aging process in man, one must omit those changes in the elderly groups that, in reality, are due to the presence or development of disease This chapter will attempt to delineate those changes in the heart and peripheral vasculature at rest and during exercise that are thought to represent “normal” aging. While these changes in and of themselves, usually cause no disability, they do provide an altered substrate on which the specific cardiovascular diseases to be discussed in subsequent chapters are superimposed. The signs, symptoms, and clinical course of these pathologic processes may be modified significantly by the physiological aging of the cardiovascular system.
KeywordsStroke Volume Constrictive Pericarditis Systolic Time Interval Aging Heart Peripheral Vasculature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gerstenblith G, Fleg JL, Vantosh A, Becker L, Kallman C, Andres R, Weisfeldt M, and Lakatta EG. Stress testing redefines the prevalence of coronary artery disease in epidemiologic studies (abstract). Circulation 62:Part II, III - 308, 1980.Google Scholar
- 14.VanTosh A. Lakatta EG, Fleg JL, Weiss J, Kallman C, Weisfeldt M, and Gerstenblith G. Ventricular dimension changes during submaximal exercise Effect of aging on normal man (abstract). Circulation 62: Part II, III - 308, 1980.Google Scholar
- 15.Fleg JL, Rodeheffer RJ, Gerstenblith G, Becker LC, Weisfeldt ML, and Lakatta EG. Cardiac output does not decline with age in healthy, fit subjects (abstract). Circulation 66:Part II, II - 185, 1982.Google Scholar
- 21.Rodeheffer R, Gerstenblith G, Fleg JL, Lakatta EG, Clulow J, Kallman CH, Weisfeldt ML, and Becker LC. The impact of age on gated blood pool scan (GBPS) measurements of LV volumes during exercise (abstract). Circulation 64:Part II, 11–243, 1981.Google Scholar
- 24.Lakatta EG. Alterations in the cardiovascular system that occur in advanced age. Federation Proceedings 38: 163–167, 1979.Google Scholar
- 25.Tzankoff ST, Fleg JL, Norris AH, and Lakatta EG. Age-related increase in serum catecholamine levels during exercise in healthy adult men (abstract). The Physiologist 23: 50, 1980.Google Scholar