Annealing Behavior and Strengthening of Ti-6a1-2sn
The microstructure of a fine globular Ti-6A1-6V-2Sn alloy was investigated after various solution treatments (700 to 1000°C) and after aging treatments in the temperature region from 350 to 600°C by X-ray diffraction and by electron microscopy. For two selected solution treatments at 700 and 850°C the mechanical properties in tension were determined as a function of aging temperature and time. Correlation of the microstructure with the mechanical properties yielded the following results: age hardening is caused by precipitation processes in the ß or martensite phase and by hardening of the primary a by Ti3A1 precipitation and possibly oxygen order. After solution treatment at 850°C hardening of the (ß + martensite)-areas are predominant. After solution treatment at lower temperatures (e.g. 700°C) hardening of both phases is of importance.
KeywordsAging Time Solution Treatment Aging Temperature Martensite Phase Solution Annealing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Hickey, C.F., Jr., Effect of Microstructure and Cooling Rate on the Mechanical Properties of Ti-6A1–6V–2Sn, Journal of Materials, 1, 1966, p. 89–103.Google Scholar
- (2).Quemper, F., Beauvais, C., Hocheid, B., Roux, C., Etude Qualitative et Quantitative de la Phase ß du Ti-A6V6E2 A Differentes Temperatures, Thèse ingénieur, CNAM, Paris, 1970, p. 143–160.Google Scholar
- (3).Hocheid, B., Fontalirand, C., Beauvais, C., Isothermal Transformations of Ti6A16V2Sn Alloy after Preheating in the (a+ß) Range, Titanium, Science and Technology, Proceedings of 2nd Intl. Conf., Cambridge, Mass. 1972, p. 1609–1619.Google Scholar
- (6).Castro, R., Séraphin, L., Contribution à l’étude métallographique et structurale de l’alliage de titane TA6V, Mém. scientifiques rév. met. 63, 1966, p. 1025–1056.Google Scholar
- (8).Crossley, F.A., Effects of the Ternary Additions: 0, Sn, Zr, Cb, Mo and V on the a /a+ Ti3A1 Boundary of Ti-Al Base Alloys, Met. Soc. AIME, 245, 1969, p. 1963–1968.Google Scholar
- (9).Welsch, G., Lütjering, G., Gazioglu, K., Bunk, W., Deformation Characteristics of Age Hardened TiA16V4, Metall. Trans. 1976 to be published.Google Scholar