Treatment Planning for Charged Particle Radiotherapy
This lecture will cover the general principles involved in treatment planning for charged particle radiotherapy. Development of treatment planning codes for charged particle radiotherapy is being actively pursued at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Cyclotron (protons), at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory (LASL) and at SIN (pions), and at the Lawrence Berkeley laboratory (LBL) (heavy ions). The general outline of the presentation will include (1) a review of beam properties and depth dose distributions used in treatment planning, (2) the use of CT as a quantitative method for evaluating the relative stopping powers of inhomogeneities. (3) treatment planning algorithms currently in use, (4) representative treatment plans and distribution of inhomogeneities, and (5) factors which affect compensator design (such as possible motions, compensator misregistrations, and multiple Coulomb scattering).
KeywordsDose Distribution Particle Radiotherapy Effective Atomic Number Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Charged Particle Beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abols, V., Genant, H. K., Rosenfeld, D., Boyd, D. P., Ettinger, B. S., and Gordon, G. S., 1978, Spinal bone mineral determination using CT in patients, controls and phantoms, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Bone Measurements, University of Toronto, Canada, June 1978.Google Scholar
- Alonso, J. R., Howard, J. and Criswell, T., 1979, The BEVALAC radiotherapy facility, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Report LBL-8961.Google Scholar
- Castro, J. R., Quivey, J. M., Lyman, J. T., Chen, G. T. Y., Kanstein, L. and Walton, R., 1977, Heavy ion radiotherapy, in “Biological and Medical Research with Accelerated Heavy Ions at the BEVALAC., 1974–1977,” Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, LBL-5610.Google Scholar
- Crowe, K., Kanstein, L., Lyman, J., and Yeater, F., 1975, A large field medical beam at the 184 in. cyclotron, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Report LBL-4235.Google Scholar
- Hogstrom, K. R., Smith, A. R., Kligerman, M. M., vonEssen, C. F., Sala, J. M., Mettler, F. A., Kelsey, C. A., Simon, S. L., Somers, J. W., Lane, R. G., Rosen, I. I., Berardo, P. A., and Zink, S. M., 1979, Static pion beam treatment planning of deep seated tumors using CT scans at LAMPS: Clinical aspects, Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 875–886.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Raju, M. R., Gnanapurani, M., Martins, B., Howard, J., and Lyman, J. T., 1972, Measurement of OER and RBE of the 910 MeV helium ion beam using cultured cells (T1), Radiology, 102, 425.Google Scholar
- Witt, R. M., 1973, Bone standards for the intercomparison of photon absorption-metric bone mineral measuring systems, Proceedings, International Conference on Bone Mineral Measurements, Chicago, 1973, DHEW Pub. No. 75–883.Google Scholar